Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the main issues I had when I bought my 2010 Cobalt was finding a way to carry my canoes. Before I bought my Cobalt I researched my options online. Wasn't much info out there so I will post what I know. Roof rack choices are really limited for the Cobalt. Yakima makes a clamp on system but for the two door it didn't give enough spacing between the bars to carry a canoe. I ended up having Thule TP42 rails screwed to the roof. I had it professionally mounted because I wasn't sure were it was safe to drill holes without hitting the side curtain air bags. They mounted it about a 1/2" inside of the two strips that run the length of the roof. I wish they would have cut the rails shorter and kept it back a bit from the front because the very front edge of the plastic trim piece isn't tight to the roof because of the curve of the roof. I found a new Thule Tracker II rack on Craigslist and a fit kit off ebay. The Tracker II rack is an older discontinued rack but they do make a newer version (460 Podium) that uses the same rails. Prices were $155 for the rails and $155 for mounting. Rack was $50 and fit kit was $37 for a grand total of $397. Quite a bit more then I spent on previous cars but not too bad. Rack can be removed leaving only the rails on the car when not needed. Together with the Curt receiver hitch I put on the back I can haul quite a bit with my little car.

I was going to add a picture but it appears the only way to do so is with photobucket which I don't use. I do have pictures on the Chevy forum website. You can see them here Canoe and bike on a 2 door Cobalt - Chevy Forums

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.