Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got my rotors resurfaced at the end of july. and i was having a noise problem and a squeek so i went to the dealer and they told me i need my rotors refurfaced again and i need new brake pads.

what pads are good to get. new oem ones or ones from a shop like sears or such. or aftermarket ones like Hawk or such.

also is it possible for my rotors to need to be resurfaced after getting done back in july?

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
It's possible! I had mine resurfaced 2 times and finally replaced once already due to noise and vibration. I only have 14K on my 2007! I don't think the rotors are the Cobalts strong point! LOL

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea im at sears now to see if there going to resurface the rotors again.
im going to get new pads too if deff do need them which im pretty sure i do since the dealer said i do

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Mine were warped to ****. They had huge hot-spots all the way around the rotor. Pretty sure 27k miles as a rental, and then about 20k more miles after that (aka, me owning it) in day to day stop and go, with some serious spirited stops (aka, 100mph down to not 100 mph) really destroyed em. The fact I didn't have any pad life left probably didn't help matters.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah sears wanted 400 to do the job. so i went back to chevy because they said they could be resurfaced orig.
sears said my passanger rotor was at .936 which is below the minimum specs since they couldnt be resurfaced anymore. and they wouldnt just install pads on the rotors because they couldnt warranty anything
so i talked to the service advisor at chevy who was really chill.
so he set me up with new rotors and pads and there was a 40 dollar off coupon so with tax its around 281 or so which is alottt better than 400.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I just did them myself. Spent about $150 to do rotors, pads (Hawk HPS pads, to boot), drums and shoes.

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
My bumper to bumper is out now so next time I need rotors, I'm getting after market drilled and slotted! I hear they hold up better that factory stuff.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
honestly you'd be better off just buying new rotors. our rotors warp so bad it's ridiculous. and rocketfoot, i heard (may be wrong) that drilled and slotted really aren't worth the money. they're great for looks, but they wear down pads faster and are prone to cracking.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
i heard (may be wrong) that drilled and slotted really aren't worth the money. they're great for looks, but they wear down pads faster and are prone to cracking.
No, you're correct. We had a big discussion on them on CU

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
when i replace mine, i'll just be replacing them with higher quality OEM rotors. and hawk HPS pads.

·
Rocket Power
711 Posts
Good to know! I do know they look great, but yeah...worthless if they crack easy and chew up lining!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i'm not sure about the slotted ones, from what i hear slotted isn't so bad? correct me if i'm wrong kyle.

it's mainly the drilled ones that people have problems with, but all you really need is a higher quality rotor and some good pads.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Slotted doesn't really do anything either. Both affect pad life.

I'm running the Raybestos "Advanced Technology" rotors (blanks with a powdercoated hub) with Hawk HPS pads.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
you have a link to them? i've had EXTREME difficulty find rotors for my 5 lug LT...it's a true pain in the ass.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I have had EBC rotors and pads on for one set of tires (about 45,000) and they are still stopping good and no issues so far.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
yea mine lasted me 32k i do normal driving so i dont need any performance rotors or anything. stock replacement will be fine for me

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
you have a link to them? i've had EXTREME difficulty find rotors for my 5 lug LT...it's a true pain in the ass.
I got them off rock auto.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I could understand re-surfacing rotors on something like a 3500 series truck where rotors cost a lot but I never hear of people re-surfacing rotors on cars such as a Cobalt. New rotors around here are pretty cheap and they are basically disposable too IMO. Of course quality varies so you have to watch what you are getting, but any time I do brakes on my vehicles, 99% of the time I'm throwing new rotors on there. I had really good service with Raybestos pads a few years ago on a GTI. Superstops I think they were called.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
My 2008 G5 GT just turned 101,500 miles. Original rotors and pads. No squeeks or pulsations. Pads are almost 1/2 worn. (knock wood)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.