Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can get good cheap drilled or dimpled rotors and ceramic pads? My front rotors have warped at 60k miles but the pads are actually still in good shape. I'm looking for both rotors and pads for less than $100 with shipping. I do not want slotted rotors this is a daily driver and those would be overkill. They would really only wear the pads down faster.

cobalt LS coupe
5 spd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I warped the rotors and still have almost half the pads left I want some rotors that are going to handle the heat better. Its not that I want cheap I just can't get myself to spend more than that on just the front. Its only a cobalt not a race car.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
fair enough, just putting my opinion out there.
cross-drilled and slotted are a good idea (maybe not for stock engine) especially for someone like me (after I go boosted) because they help clear the brake dust from the rotor, as well as dissipate heat much better which helps a lot for those high speed "oh shit" stops and other stuff. So I would say if you're light on the brakes, blanks are fine but for any performance related car or boosted car, dimpled/slotted/cross-drilled rotors are a good investment.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

But I totally agree that you should NOT cheap out on brake components.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I drive harder then the avg person which is probably why they warped. That's why I was thinking cross drilled not slotted. Know any good inexpensive ones?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I drive harder then the avg person which is probably why they warped. That's why I was thinking cross drilled not slotted. Know any good inexpensive ones?
You won't find SAFE cross drilled and slotted rotors for under...maybe $180-$200ish if I'm not mistaken. Check the vendors on the site, a few of them have good rotors. I think EBC makes good cross drilled/slotted rotors and there are some other brands as well

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You won't find SAFE cross drilled and slotted rotors for under...maybe $180-$200ish if I'm not mistaken. Check the vendors on the site, a few of them have good rotors. I think EBC makes good cross drilled/slotted rotors and there are some other brands as well
What makes a rotor "safe"? Is there any spec or alloy? I don't want just anything off Ebay. I usually by cheap from Autozone or really good for my mopar's. I'm not really experienced in quality low budget for a Chevy

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
What makes a rotor "safe"? Is there any spec or alloy? I don't want just anything off Ebay. I usually by cheap from Autozone or really good for my mopar's. I'm not really experienced in quality low budget for a Chevy
I mean SAFE as in made by a reputable company that takes the proper manufacturing procedures (and has the proper background in research) to justify selling their brake products. If you buy a "no-name" or knockoff brand, then good luck lol. Especially since brakes are a pretty critical part of a car's safety system.

If you DO go for the proper brakes from the proper, known companies then it will most likely cost you more than $100 shipped unfortunately.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

and there isn't really a "quality low-budget" item for the cobalt's brakes. You could go OEM (same as you have now) but if you ride the car hard they're going to warp again. If you do want slotted and dimpled or cross drilled it won't be cheap. I suggest either raising the budget (wait and save or just find money elsewhere) or just go with the OEM brakes again and try to be easier on them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, and here I thought parts for Chevy's were cheap. After the problems with this car I don't think I'll be buying another Chevy. Saved money upfront but really spending it down the line. I've also already replaced both front end links and control arm bushings twice.

Anyone else want to chime in?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Thanks, and here I thought parts for Chevy's were cheap. After the problems with this car I don't think I'll be buying another Chevy. Saved money upfront but really spending it down the line. I've also already replaced both front end links and control arm bushings twice.

Anyone else want to chime in?
Parts for our cobalts are quite cheap. But $100 is just too small a budget for performance brake discs is all.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Parts are cheap lol. I just got rotors and replaced mine in about an hour time myself for under $100.

And just get blank rotors. There is no need for drilled or slotted rotors. A waste of money to be honest.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Parts are cheap lol. I just got rotors and replaced mine in about an hour time myself for under $100.

And just get blank rotors. There is no need for drilled or slotted rotors. A waste of money to be honest.
lol burnt direct this guy to where you bought your blanks. They should be fine for his needs.

As for me I WILL be needing slotted and cross-drilled over blanks. It will make a difference.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I had the same problem with control arms and bushings and I just drove it off the lot (thank you dealership for fixing that for free!) but your best bet is any time something like that goes out just upgrade to performance or aftermarket parts and usually they will last longer than the OEM "cheap" parts chevy uses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did replace with aftermarket lifetime parts and that saved me on the second go. kinda why I want to upgrade for this. can anyone recommend good blank rotors that will take the rough driving?

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I bought Raybestos Advanced Tech blanks to go with my Hawk HPS pads.

Slotted or Drilled/Slotted rotors do absolutely nothing other than look good. Just buy a set of Raybestos rotors and you'll be good. I autocross on mine, and they work great.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Drilled/Slotted do not increase stopping power. At all. They just look cool. And crack.

Best solution is good quality blank rotors and quality pads (i.e. EBC redstuff, Hawk HPS, etc)

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
I found them cheapest on Rock Auto. Plus, Rock Auto kicks ass.

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

RAYBESTOS Part # 580137 is what I have. The center hub part of it is powdercoated to prevent rust, basically.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.