Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 cobalt LS 4 door car. I have had it two weeks and I've already had to put money in it no used car is perfect I know lol. Any way I've already had to do a break job get a new battery new ball joint tire rod new oil pan as well and now I have to take it back in for the dipstick tube the guy broke it when he put on my oil pan eye roll any way when I turn the ac on it idles rougher and now when I turned her over to move her she died twice I was thinking it's a vacuum leak or something but I'm not sure. What do y'all think? I haven't had issues with a car like this before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 06 cobalt LS 4 door car. I have had it two weeks and I've already had to put money in it no used car is perfect I know lol. Any way I've already had to do a break job get a new battery new ball joint tire rod new oil pan as well and now I have to take it back in for the dipstick tube the guy broke it when he put on my oil pan eye roll any way when I turn the ac on it idles rougher and now when I turned her over to move her she died twice I was thinking it's a vacuum leak or something but I'm not sure. What do y'all think? I haven't had issues with a car like this before.
I have an 06 Cobalt LS 2 door. Bought it new. I know that the plastic air intake that sits on top of the motor was probably removed during work on your car. It is possible and actually easy to accidentally improperly line up the hole with the air intake when putting it back on. This happened to me as I was rushing to get her back together. It drove fine at first but after the computer maxed out the trim on the throttle body it went into limp mode. Long story short after buying parts I didn't need and returning them I figured it out when I removed the air intake that it hadn't been properly seated. Take it to a chain auto parts store. They usually will test the codes with an OBII scanner for free. A shop might charge you. FYI if the code comes up as it being the throttle body sensor or the accelerator pedal sensor, this will happen if you have a vacuum leak as well, as these were the codes I got .

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have seen it many times where whoever had worked on the car last couldn’t get the plastic intake pipe back onto the throttle body. Even more common is finding that the clamp has been left loose. It can be tightened with a flat blade screw driver, and more easily tightened with an 8mm socket and and extension on a ratchet.

There’s also the PCV hose that goes between the valve cover and intake pipe. It’s should be soft and flexible. But you’ll probably find that yours has become hard and brittle if it hasn’t been replaced recently. They often will crack when removed, and cause a vacuum leak when they are reinstalled.

I think the only other source for a vacuum leak would be the hose for the vacuum brake booster. I would have no idea why it would even need to be removed though.

The car may idle poorly with the dipstick removed. Not sure if it’s been removed from the engine while you’re waiting on new parts, but that will definitely cause a vacuum leak when the engine is running if it’s removed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts