1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I'd invest in full synthetic instead.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Mobil 1, Valvoline or Pennzoil are all great.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Platinum might not be a good idea for an old engine.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Pennzoil makes their top oil with natural gas. Supposed to be an amazing oil.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Tried it in my wife's G6 and it went through like I poured it in a wicker basket. Funny thing I never saw it smoke but every time I checked the oil it was down a liter. It took me two jugs of 4.73 to make it to 10,000 Kms, then changed back to Valvoline and it went back to normal usage like half a liter in the first 5000 and an other liter for the last 5000.

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
I'd invest in full synthetic instead.
RP is Full Synthetic, but they basically charge you extra because it's purple, not because its as great as they make it out to be.

Mobil 1 FS would be plenty. I run that to about 9-11k on the Cobalt, and have been since 27k miles (at about 120k now), and that is on a Delco filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run Mobil 1 FS HM with the normal ACDelco PF457G filter. Haven't had any issues - I typically go 7,500mi between changes.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Code?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Probably an O2 sensor code. What code is it saying?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
O2 sensor. Did you use a dealer one

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
So i did use the Penzoil Ultra Platinum, seems to be running just fine. now if i can get this damn CEL to turn off.
Keep an eye on oil level with that stuff!!!
A P0171 code can be caused by a bunch of stuff, but most common is a leak in the intake, don't need a big gap. Sometimes people just forget to tighten the clamp at the throttle body, sometimes it's a crack in one of the hoses or PCV spout. Even a dirty MAF can cause a P0171.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Accurate. I have seen 3 cobalt's do it when the B1S1 sensor failed. Including my own.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A few months ago my starter and fuel pump had went out, so i had them replaced. after getting my car back from the shop i got the P0171 Code not to long after and they would just tell me the code and that it was running lean. i wasn't going to pay them to have them keep working on it if they weren't going to tell me what the problem was. Since i had those two parts replaced, I have replaced my fuel filter, my injectors, my MAF sensor, i had a crack in my exhaust manifold so i replaced with headers, i have replaced the O2 sensor, i kept getting the lean code.

I had an issue with the nipple to the hose on my original air intake. so i replaced with one off of Ebay that looks just like a Injen intake, but i still am getting this code. I have disconnected the positive side of the battery for more than an hour (i know only 15 mins needed but i just left it be because i was busy).

the other day when i was pulling into a parking spot the CEL shut off after running kind of hard for a second. and then on my drive home the CEL came back on.

---------- Post added at 06:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

what would be signs of a broken flex pipe?

·
Say What again!
5,999 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.