Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when idling at 1000 rpm, in a cobalt, is each cylinder doing 250 rpms or is each doing 1000? dumb question i know

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Kind of neat. At 1,000 rpm the crank is spinning 1,000 times a minute or almost 17 times a second. Cruising down the interstate at say 2,500 rpm the crank is spinning almost 42 times every second.

It's really neat that people engineer such things when you really think about it.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
and this is why oil and bearings and coolant and all this stuff is so important! crankshaft turns 1000 times per minute at 1000rpm and the cams rotate half that speed. i think the balance shaft rotates the same speed as the crank.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
and this is why oil and bearings and coolant and all this stuff is so important! crankshaft turns 1000 times per minute at 1000rpm and the cams rotate half that speed. i think the balance shaft rotates the same speed as the crank.
Balance shafts run at twice the RPM. So if you're at 3,000RPM, the balance shafts are at 6,000 RPM.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If you guys think thats insane, the nitro engines I run are able to hit 55k RPM...

Since they are a large amount smaller, it is to be expected. The common rule is that the larger the displacement, the lower the peak RPM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.