Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can I replace these or do I have to sand them down to bare metal and repaint before winter? Or do I just leave it as is…
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Automotive lighting
Ecoregion Road surface Wood Asphalt Orange
Automotive tire Military camouflage Wood Marines Camouflage

·
Registered
753 Posts
Oh my that’s some serious termite damage your have going on.
It’s going to take some serious fresh steel grafting to fix.
Cut out bad, weld in new, prime and paint.
Depending on the rest of your Cobalt, it may be beyond economical repair.
For just one side.

As a guess
Say you could buy replacement rocker panels for $100
Give a good body shop 2 hr to clean, cut, & prep for rewear.
Then 1 hr to weld, and 2 hr to finish.
So how much to good body shops get in your area?
Cheap $65/hr
$100/hr would be a bargain
$150/hr might be nominal
$200/hr and I don’t think they would want you in their shop.

Now if you have the time, skill, & tools it’s a couple of hundred from start to finish.
Or $400-$1000 and I wouldn’t be suprised.

Or just coat it with rhino liner and cover it up for another year or so. From the looks of other parts..there’s lots more not shown.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just repainted my hood, roof due to clear coat missing and re painted all 4 rocker panels this year I think overall the car looks much better than before.
Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
753 Posts
Are you any good at welding sheet metal or know a friend that will work with you? Shop around and you may find fresh new rocker panels. The salvage yards are full of clean rush free Cobalts. Most of the body’s are crushed so there is little value in used rockers due to the labor to cut them free. So check around and see what the local salvage yards will do with you and cut away more than you need. Then trim to fit. Be sure to get plenty of the plastic press pins for the inner fenders. And Good Luck
BTW. It looks like it could be an 09. Yes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow that's pretty scary looking. I got an 08 and it had a few minor bubbles and 1 hole that I had to fix to get an inspection sticker - I started scraping and a few more holes opened up - I ordered new slip over rockers and welded them in - I'd have to look - think it was an Amazon purchase - the biggest piece of advice - if you go this way - measure - the rockers were a good fit at the back but had were way to long (top to bottom) in the front - had to trim and re-bend - good luck hope you are able to save her

1 - 5 of 5 Posts