Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New here. Actually, I don't even own a cobalt yet, but I've been in the market for an SS for weeks.

I looked at a pretty nice one today that had the recaro package. 167k miles, looked to be a clean car. But when I looked underneath, there was some pretty bad rust right by the control arms, I was thinking this was part of the frame, but it looked more like a floorboard area. Unfortunately, I didn't buy it because of this concern. I expect there to be some rust on the rocker panels, which I'm not too upset about but this was ate out pretty bad near the rear control arm support and not just rocker rust.

Can anyone tell me where the frame is? I assume it connects to those rear control arms and then runs along the side of the vehicle. Hoping I didn't just pass up on a car that was still structurally sound that I could have had fixed.

Anything else I should be concerned with before buying? Any rust stories?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Iron weevils and termites can be a killer to unibody cars. What are they asking for it...with 160k miles. It will need some major maintenance.......don’t buy a paint job..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mitche, that explains why I couldn't find any diagrams of the chasiss.

Definitely wouldn't want one completely rusted out near major support sections then. They were asking 3500 for a rebuilt titled SS, there were many other problems other than the rust too, absolutely not worth it. I'd consider it a parts car if that. I've found much better examples that were well taken care of for around the same price point. Most of the ones I'm interested in are 2+ hours away though, they seem common enough that I'm willing to wait until one I like pops up in my area.

I'd also like to mention that I was very deceived by the initial pictures as it looked like a very clean car from the exterior.. which it was.. but it was hiding some nasty stuff underneath.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If it runs well, it would be a nice parts car for ~$1k to the goblin people. As a keeper Cobalt...poor thing. Such a shame.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a 2009 with 122,000, put in a clutch, bushings, brakes, tires, high pressure fuel pump- was leaking gas into engine, tune up, countless other things. Almost any car as old as these are gonna need work, the higher the performance the more wear and tear on it too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's not bad at all. I work on cars a good bit, I'm no pro of course. I usually purchase vehicles from the 90s so I'm aware of the work needed, but I've had enough rusted vehicles to know that working on those are pointless unless I can repair the rust without dumping a ton of money. Frame rust was my largest concern until learning that it's all one piece.

I'm still seeing tons of cobalts with extremely bad rust in that same area, I knew rocker rust is common for these but underside body rust seems common as well. People will post that it's just a little rust, then send me pics of half the bottom of the car eaten away lol. Not gonna pay 4k for a car that is a death trap or will be worth nothing soon.

Actually found a clean one with 113k miles, supposed to look at it Saturday. It runs on e85 though. I've only seen one other one like that and I was hoping to avoid trapping myself into buying one kind of fuel since only a couple of gas stations in my area sell e85.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I thought flex fuel cars that can use e85 as an option I don’t think it’s necessary that you use e85 ,You could use regular gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Rooster, yea I'm pretty sure that's what it means. But the guy said it runs like shit on 93. Might be a shitty tune? Don't know. I'm really not sure how e85 works as a flex fuel because running e85 means the injectors are way bigger, so I find it strange that you can use 93 without dumping way more gas in the combustion chamber than is needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts