Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright soo, my girlfriends silverado came with a chrome step bar when she bought it. Shes had it for a good yr now and the bar is starting to rust. Rather than buying two new ones, is there a way to paint these with some kind of paint tht will last with the issue of constant use? if so what kind how much and where can i get it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
463 Posts
if it's just surface rust it can be fixed and prevented from going through. I'm not sure how. you'll have to call a body shop and see what you can do. they might be able to give you a cleaning agent for it. you might possible after that have to send it out to get rechromed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if it's just surface rust it can be fixed and prevented from going through. I'm not sure how. you'll have to call a body shop and see what you can do. they might be able to give you a cleaning agent for it.
Yeah i figured, I just figured Id try here first especially since im decent with paint

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tht sounds good, if i had a sand blaster. and would clearcoat last? to make it shiny do you think? or just keep it tht flat black?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Line X makes a gloss bedliner. You could maybe get a shop to sand blast them for you real cheap, its not hard at all. Also they can color match the liner to the truck color.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So in tht case if they didnt make a chrome, they could do maybe a metallic silver you think?

·
Registered
561 Posts
For the bedliner?...if so then no...they can match the color of the truck using OEM color codes. As for chrome, you could get it re-chromed, that may cost a little more but it would worth it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
you could always paint it the same as the truck.
Yeah Im not a huge fan of having it all the same color. But then again it may work, plus its her truck so its her choice lol.

JustMiller25 added 0 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

For the bedliner?...if so then no...they can match the color of the truck using OEM color codes. As for chrome, you could get it re-chromed, that may cost a little more but it would worth it.
How much ya thinkin?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Are those the Westin Brand Step Bars ? If so my firends dad had the same set and had the same exact problem and they got sooo bad they were about to snap offf so he just cut them offf and he is buying heavy duty plastic ones cause that barnd is notorius for rusting out and they dont warranty it he tried calling them and they basically told them theres nothing they can do about it ...the rust is just going to keep spreading...and its not surface rust either

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.