Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
I'm surprised they even still use them...

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Rotarys are expensive, don't make a ton of power for the price, and don't get good gas mileage...there's a reason 99% of cars don't have rotaries...

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Rotary's are awsome and amazing motors and if Mazda was smart they would use them in every vehicle. The 4 rotor never made it to production but was used in Mazda funded race cars, however it is not hard to convert a 3 rotor out of a cosmo to a 4 rotor and most likely what is in that RX8 is just that a 3 rotor with an extra housing, apex and custom made output shaft along with all the other internals. we have built a few 3 rotors at our shop and the boss has been working on his gen 3 rx7 for about 6 years, we built his 3 rotor from 2003-2005 a little bit at a time and as time permitted, he currently has two now. 10K rpm is nothing for these motors and power output is easy at 1200 with a single turbo and super reliable. Plus sounding like an indy car is just total badassary.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Indy car? They sound like vacuum cleaners. So much so my buddy with an RX8 is going to get a license plate "Hoover"

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Kyle you and i always agree to disagree :)
Watch the video again and you tell me if you have ever bought a vacuum cleaner that sounds like that, tell me where I can find one cause I will buy it. and the 1.3 that is in the new RX8 is a far cry from a 3 or 4 rotor. I will also disagree with you a Wankel or any of it's variations being unreliable. The only unreliability comes from people that over rev consistently or over boost and under fuel which results in usually blowing apex seals, but this is not the rotary's fault it is the person driving the car who does not know or understand that they have to care for, build, tune and service their engine differently than that of a piston engine. A rotary is just as if not more reliable than any piston engine in stock form you just have to know up front that it is a different type of machine and learn a little about how it works if you are going to mod.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
What video.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Ummmmmm the original post by the OP is a video link to a 4 rotor RX8 transplant.

That is why I was talking about 4 and 3 rotors, he said that he thinks Mazda's are the only ones who still use a 4 rotor, and I explained that 4 rotors never made it to production and that was most likely a 3 rotor converted.

Cause the only production rotary sold in the U.S. has been the 2 rotor.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That 4 rotor is awesome, but sounds like a lawnmower on steroids trying to chop up a piece of metal at idle.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Rotary engines get poor torque for the hp numbers, nothing a turbo won't fix though. And if you think that the rotaries sound like vacuum cleaners, well, you'll think indy cars sound like vacuum cleaners too. Garbage mileage though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My buddy had a RX-7tt in Japan and when I was there we rode around in it all the time. It was pretty quick and sounded real good. Ran rich as hell though. I even got to drive it a few times on base and get on it. Deffinately a car I would consider getting if I was ever stationed there. No leg room in the back seats though.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
a guy here has a turbo RX8, something like 345hp with a meesly trq number, dont remember. I raped him a few times off the line, took him over a 1/4 to catch up. I like how people get butthurt over a sarcastic comment though :) And unfortionately I know way more than I want to about Rotaries, friend is a mazda fanatic along with everyone of his friends, kinda funny they hate rotaries aswell though lol

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
haha butthurt, no I just call people out when they post comments that are incorrect. I even put a little LOL in there to show I was saying it lightheartedly but you then got butt hurt cause I called you out and you decided to type your rebuttle.
Let me ask you is 215 ftpd of tq out of a 1.3 liter a low number. Is even 160 ft pd of tq out of a 1.3 liter a low number. I have a 2.2 liter and I'm not getting those numbers. the 13b series in the rx8 is NA has 215 hp and 160 ftlb tq. is there a stretch between the numbers, sure there is but it has the same displacement as a 1.3 liter. Now lets advance that and make it into a 2.4 liter, what do you think the numbers are going to be? More than a 2.4 ecotec in hp and probably close to if not a little more tq. You ran an rx8 in your ss, I believe you beat him. Do I believe you beat him and it took him a 1/4 to catch up, I do. I also believe he was a shitty driver and probably missed a gear. Also the 13b in the rx8 was not made to be modded, it is a completely different generation of rotary because the U.S. put emissions so strictly in place that it lost allmost 60 ftpd of tq and 40 hp compared to it's preprocessors. This is due to the fact that all the internal parts are casted different to lower compression, hp and tq.The car resists tuning and the guy you know probably spent 8 grand to get it in the 350hp range and most likely had to have machining and internals done which makes him a true fan of his car or an idiot. He could have swapped a 13b out of a gen3 for $1500, you still would have taken him off the line but not by much. For an extra 2 grand in parts mated to the 3rd gen and tune he would smoke your car in the strait line and thru the corners if he knows how to drive. If your friends were real mazda fanatics they would not hate the rotary they would hate the restrictions placed on them by the u.s. government, cause they have more potential if unrestricted than anything else Mazda has right now.

We should pull the boost from your car and see the tq numbers the 2.0 puts out na. That would be funny. Your car would then be called a Sunfire.

Never the less the original post was about a 4 rotor in an rx8. If done correctly on a single turbo application for about half the price of a Z06 using an rx8 that you got for a super good deal with high millage that rx8 should make a Z06 it's b!tch as long as it can hook and guess what guys a ford 9 inch is a super easy swap and common swap on the gen 3's and rx8's. It's not quite as sexy but hey it's half priced.

·
Registered
252 Posts
RX-8 isn't even supposed to be fast in a straight line either, it's more of a touring car. Pretty sure your friend would own you around most tracks though.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
RX-8 isn't even supposed to be fast in a straight line either, it's more of a touring car. Pretty sure your friend would own you around most tracks though.
Doubt it. The Cobalt is a VERY good handling platform (up until Renaults "factory" race car lapped The 'Ring, the SS/TC was the fastest production FWD car around it)...it might be about even, but no way it'll "own" a Cobalt SS, especially a modified one.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Its not "4" rotor engines put together, it's 2, 13B engines. There's two rotors in the 13B, and three rotors in the 20B.
True or one 13b and one 20b, this way you have a spare housing, apex and rotor, just in case. almost everything is interchangeable, depending on the year and series of that particular engine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.