Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the new insurance bill after adding the 2010 Dodge Journey. The Dodge Journey is $120 less for six months than our 2007 LS sedan. Both are bare bones base models.

How do the insurance companies classify the Cobalts? Especially the four door sedans?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Maybe more people crash and get speeding tickets in cobalts and not the journeys. thats the only thing i can come up with for it. Its cheaper for my 06 cobalt than it is for my 04 srt neon.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still, yuppies are driving trucks, suv's and crossovers and wrekcing them bad, alot. Yet a crossuver/suv is cheaper than a 4 door 4 cylinder?

·
Registered
280 Posts
New Car Discount? Safety Rating? There are so many factors that apply it's rediculous. I know that I priced my car at one place for $1200 for 6 months and another place it was $1100 for the year. The best place I've found so far is with AAA. I pay around $500 for 6 months.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Cobalts tend to be driven by high school/college students since they're dirt cheap.

That being said, I only pay 130/mo for the SS/SC.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
its 50 cheaper from my 10 ls xfe to a 09 SS
My SS/SC's insurance was about the same as the G5. The only reason mine went up a bit for a short time was because I lost the "Safe Driver" discount from rolling the G5.

You'd think that "SS" "Supercharged" or "Turbocharged" would scare the shit out of the insurance company.

·
Registered
195 Posts
thats the way it is with the srt4. it has a higher insurance rate over the base model neons. when i found out that the base cobalts and the ss/tc were insured the same i about went crazy. i dont understand why and i cant win the argument with geico.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My SS/SC's insurance was about the same as the G5. The only reason mine went up a bit for a short time was because I lost the "Safe Driver" discount from rolling the G5.

You'd think that "SS" "Supercharged" or "Turbocharged" would scare the shit out of the insurance company.
You were paying for the increased price and the name of the G5 (Pontiac), when we were looking for cars and pricing insurance the G6 was twice the insurance of the Malibu. Back in the Neon days, the Plymouth badged Neon was more for insurance than the Dodge badged Neon.

Insurance is sometimes based on the name and brand, if the brand is more expensive to purchase, even though it is basically the same car, the insurance will reflect name appropriately.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
I pay 1500 every 6 months. the last 6 months it was 1400. It went up and I don't know why. No tickets, no accidents, no claims, no nothing. insurance company doesn't know either but they won't drop it. I shopped around again but I couldn't find anything better :(

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I pay 1500 every 6 months. the last 6 months it was 1400. It went up and I don't know why. No tickets, no accidents, no claims, no nothing. insurance company doesn't know either but they won't drop it. I shopped around again but I couldn't find anything better :(
HOLY CRAP, I do not even pay that much a year for the2007 LS Sedan Balt, the 2010 Journey (cheaper than the Balt somehow), 1986 Camaro and 2003 Buell XB9R.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
driving a mini van, says it all, family vehicle therefore usually owners have kiddies and are looked at as safer drivers, though not really. On top of which the cobalt is a car that is rated high as being wrecked or in a wreck thanks to all the people who have wrecked their balts, its a high risk vehicle. At one point like 3rd on the list.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
driving a mini van, says it all, family vehicle therefore usually owners have kiddies and are looked at as safer drivers, though not really. On top of which the cobalt is a car that is rated high as being wrecked or in a wreck thanks to all the people who have wrecked their balts, its a high risk vehicle. At one point like 3rd on the list.
Actually Journeys are considered SUV's for insurance purposes. They are classified as crossovers. But you are correct about the high wreck rate for Cobalts.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
I'm not eligible for usaa :(

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

HOLY CRAP, I do not even pay that much a year for the2007 LS Sedan Balt, the 2010 Journey (cheaper than the Balt somehow), 1986 Camaro and 2003 Buell XB9R.
I've always failed at insurance. My last car was a chevy cavalier base model sedan. With no accidents and no tickets on my record I was paying 1200 every six months.
I dunno why my insurance has always been extremely high. Other guys my age who drive similar cars all had drastically lower insurance. I even had a friend with a couple accidents that was paying less than me for his mazda 3 :(

Oh and BTW! If you haven't already, vote on YCOTM!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.