Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i bought some caliper paint and i was wondering if it's okay to jack up the car with the "jack" that is already provided? and before anyone asks i don't have the money to go and buy the stands or anything. so anyone have any suggestions???????????

·
Registered
248 Posts
okay i bought some caliper paint and i was wondering if it's okay to jack up the car with the "jack" that is already provided? and before anyone asks i don't have the money to go and buy the stands or anything. so anyone have any suggestions???????????
iv done it before

·
Registered
498 Posts
I wouldn't crawl under the vehicle or stick my legs under there without jack stands.

·
Registered
317 Posts
if you have some blocks of wood or cinder blocks, stack them up under the car, do anything you can to keep it up and keep all of your limbs on

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol. okay thank you guys. i'll see what i can do i think my father has a shop stand one, the one with wheels on the bottom? anyways, thank you again.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The ones with wheels are hydraulic and are beasts compared to the jack that comes with the car. It takes about 15 seconds to jack up the car with hydraulic compared to 5 minutes with standard

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Safest way is to use jack stands for sure.. Doing anything under your car is not worth your life.. When ever i use just the stock jack alone, I put my wheel under the car just in case..

·
Registered
317 Posts
i dont think i have ever worked under a car that didnt have atleast two jackstands under it, and i always leave the jack under it jacked up too. then i shake the car to make sure its not going anywhere

·
Registered
618 Posts
i dont think i have ever worked under a car that didnt have atleast two jackstands under it, and i always leave the jack under it jacked up too. then i shake the car to make sure its not going anywhere
Exactly!!!!!! Cuz nothing isnt worth a huge chunk of steel crushing you! If you have to at least find someone willing to lend you some stands...shoot ill send mine to you if necessary....just dont half ass when you are doing that stuff :eek:h:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Exactly!!!!!! Cuz nothing isnt worth a huge chunk of steel crushing you! If you have to at least find someone willing to lend you some stands...shoot ill send mine to you if necessary....just dont half ass when you are doing that stuff :eek:h:
yeah i dont mess around with the screw type jacks that the factory supplys, i have seen cars fall off of those jacks time and time again. always use stands

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I agree with all the above posts, spend the money at Walmart and get some decent stands. My wife's uncle was killed a few years ago when he was working under a car and the jack failed and the car crushed him. Also can tell you a few more stories along the same concept.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Shoot i dont know about yall but i wouldnt put my wheels under the car haha. IF those stands don't hold then i dont want my 1500 dollar rims being what holds up my car. Id use senter blocks instead of the rims plus jack stands
I preffer my rims for 1500 dollars to hold the car instead of my legs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.