Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommate and I work at a Cadillac dealership and he is currently replacing a 2.2L Ecotec in a Cobalt. The oil pan was damaged in an accident and evidently run without oil for a while. 2 of the 4 rod bearings were worn down to almost nothing. So, the insurance company approved a low-mileage junkyard motor. Since I have an '08 Cobalt, I'm taking particular interest in helping him out. Anyways, when it arrived, we noticed that there were some differences. Apparently, the motor was from a Saturn Ion. The fuel rail was different, the exhaust manifold was different, and a few other things. Since the exhaust manifold wasn't a cast piece, but appeared to be a tubular piece, I decided to grab it for future consideration. Here are the pics of the exhaust manifold. Anyone know if there may be any performance benefits from adding this to a 2.2?

·
Registered
575 Posts
hmmm idk what the stock manifold runners are and what the diamtere is. I'll look it up.

·
Registered
768 Posts
secondary air injection. Are you sure red07?! ok never mind now I see it. Couldn't he just chop off that part and call it good? On a none SAI 2.2 isn't there just the cylinder block where the SAI should be?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm new. Could you explain SAI for me?
There are post already on the subject -- but what the heck-- I hate searching too:D. SAI Secondary Air Injection (old Air Injection Reactor AIR - same thing) is an emissions system that pumps fresh air into the exhaust to reduce emissions. On top of the exhaust you pictured there is a hole with 2 bolt holes -- on top of that a checkvalve is mounted. The pump is located between the engine and radiator and the plumbing goes: from the air filter box (for filtered air-small second hose) to the pump and from the pump to the checkvalve.

Red07SSNA added 4 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

secondary air injection. Are you sure red07?! ok never mind now I see it. Couldn't he just chop off that part and call it good? On a none SAI 2.2 isn't there just the cylinder block where the SAI should be?
Actually that manifold doesn't look very restrictive (I can't see the insides though). He couldn't just chop off the top -- need to plug it to prevent exhaust leaks. It must also use a different head-to mani gasket then the cast iron version.

Wolfmandave -- What year Saturn ION did that manifold come off of? I haven't seen an '08 version -- the 08 as a different PN then the 06-07 manifold.

·
Registered
575 Posts
that sucks and prolly cannot use it because of that SAI.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wolfmandave -- What year Saturn ION did that manifold come off of? I haven't seen an '08 version -- the 08 as a different PN then the 06-07 manifold.
It came out of an '06. Here's the pic with the SAI 'thingy' attached.

SilverStreak said:
no... you don't want that... throw it away...
So, I take that as a no performance gain. But, what if I have it bored out and have a custom plate welded over the SAI opening?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It came out of an '06. Here's the pic with the SAI 'thingy' attached.

So, I take that as a no performance gain. But, what if I have it bored out and have a custom plate welded over the SAI opening?
My .02 -- Don't use it. It won't seal the same against the cylinder head as the cast iron manifold or aftermarket headers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My .02 -- Don't use it. It won't seal the same against the cylinder head as the cast iron manifold or aftermarket headers.
I probably won't use it however, I do have to disagree with your assumption that it won't seal against the cylinder head as well as the cast iron manifold. Both the Ion and Cobalt have the exact same Ecotec motor. This manifold seems to be one of several differences. But, as long as you use the exhaust manifold gasket designed for that manifold, it will seal just fine.

The only evidence I have to prove this is my roommate finished putting the Ion Ecotec into a Cobalt and used the Cobalt's exhaust manifold. I kept the Ion manifold. He test drove it for 15 miles and there was no exhaust leak.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I probably won't use it however, I do have to disagree with your assumption that it won't seal against the cylinder head as well as the cast iron manifold. Both the Ion and Cobalt have the exact same Ecotec motor. This manifold seems to be one of several differences. But, as long as you use the exhaust manifold gasket designed for that manifold, it will seal just fine.

The only evidence I have to prove this is my roommate finished putting the Ion Ecotec into a Cobalt and used the Cobalt's exhaust manifold. I kept the Ion manifold. He test drove it for 15 miles and there was no exhaust leak.
I didn't mean that it won't work -- see the open area where the head-to-manifold gasket goes? You'll have exhaust gas in there where you don't need it -- unless you stop up the opening somehow.

S

·
0 Posts
I don't think you get it... the SAI manifold is not any better than the stock 05-06 one. It just looks different b/c it was custom made to work with the SAI. Go look at a 07 or 08 Cobalt 2.2... it's the same manifold.

That thing is not some sort of half-assed header... if anything it probably flows worse than the stock cast manifold. Just toss it in the trash and we can move on from this whole silly discussion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think you get it... the SAI manifold is not any better than the stock 05-06 one. It just looks different b/c it was custom made to work with the SAI. Go look at a 07 or 08 Cobalt 2.2... it's the same manifold.

That thing is not some sort of half-assed header... if anything it probably flows worse than the stock cast manifold. Just toss it in the trash and we can move on from this whole silly discussion.
I think you hit the nail on the head. This is EXACTLY the information I was looking for. Looks like I'll just cut off the tubes and keep the flanges. Maybe I'll get some custom header designed for my dream setup a couple of years down the road.

Oh, and I just went outside to check my '08 2.2 Cobalt. I have the cast iron manifold.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Don’t throw it away just yet, it looks like an ok piece. Really you'd need to measure the ports and compare them to the cast iron one. The SAI port can simply be plugged off with a block off plate. I'd be very interested to see if the collector looks like the iron one for the L61. Can you clean off the collector and take some more please?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don’t throw it away just yet, it looks like an ok piece. Really you'd need to measure the ports and compare them to the cast iron one. The SAI port can simply be plugged off with a block off plate. I'd be very interested to see if the collector looks like the iron one for the L61. Can you clean off the collector and take some more please?
Sure thing. I'm going to bed right now, but I'll take some pics tomorrow and post up then.

S

·
0 Posts
well... any new developments?

if anything why not look for a LSJ exhast manifold? it flows better than the 2.2 one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The port is oval and is 4 cm across and 2.5 cm tall. The collector measures 5 cm in diameter. Anybody got a cast iron one laying around they can take measurements on? I'd be interested to see measurements on an LSJ manifold and an extrude-honed LSJ manifold.

·
Registered
135 Posts
One of the guys at my shop had one, but he threw it out a few days ago, Doh. Is it a round 5 cm at the collector or is it shaped like a D?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.