Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, i just bought a lightly used 2005 chevy cobalt after reading the mostly favourable reviews and talking to a couple of mechnic freinds of mine...right away I have found a rather scary tendency the car possesses..the rear brakes lock uo very easily!! this scred the crap out of me the first time it happend yesrday in snowy conditons..I just want to know if this is a known issue with this model and more imprortantly CAN IT BE FIXED????????

·
Registered
142 Posts
If it's an LS and has drum brakes yes it has been an issue but not just with Cobalt but with the Cavaliers also. The shoes have a tendency to stick to the drum in cold and damp weather causing them to apply to quickly and 'lock up'. I've serviced these numerous times. You'll have to have them looked at for any rusted brake hardware and have the drums turned to get this fixed. Also have the shoes looked at for heat cracks. Make sure all the hardware is in good condition, the shoes are good and the backing plate is smooth where the shoes ride and lubed to prevent freezing action.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
One other possibility is that the proportioning valve that controls the pressure to the front and rear brakes may not be working properly. Normally the pressure to the front and rear brakes is not equal - because the front brakes do about 60%+ of the stopping action. The rear-brake lock-up problem in damp weather is not only in the Cobalt -- happens on a lot of cars with drum brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.