Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all, I didn't see many scratch threads.

My car got keyed :-(.

I applied GM Dealer Paint and Filled the scratches --- Used wet sanding to get the paint off and then a compound and then wax to protect. The scratches are there faintly but better than previously. Any ideas for finishing off the remaining scratches?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Wow man that sucks, I'm really sorry to hear that. I can't help you with the scratches but I CAN tell you that after having my car vandalized, a home surveillance system doesn't sound crazy any more. I hope you get those scratches filled. If you find out who did it, think before you call the cops. Do you want them to get in trouble? Or do you want them to know what it really feels like to have something you spent a lot of money on be reduced to a drawing board? Molotov cocktails, potatoes in the exhaust, paint thinner in a 7-11 cup, hurled at their car from a distance. There's many ways to get even. But if you're a live and let live kinda guy, rest assured that karma will catch up to that little bastard(s), even if you're not the one serving it up. Good luck with those scratches man and remember, knowledge is power, damnit.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey Mrw5641,
Long story short someone grazed my wife's car and left scratches and yellow paint on the area(12x12 inch). I used a rubbing compound. i did the area maybe 4 times to get the paint off, then wiped clean, when it looked good to me i rinsed,dried. Then i used a hard shell wax and buffed the hell out of it and you can not tell the car was damaged unless you look for it. no one believes me when i show them the pics! hope it helps, btw machine buff beats hand buff any day

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I used the Grit Sand Paper / and compound. I still see the scratches. I sanded, compunded, buffed and waxed. They are definetly better than they were but I can still see them.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
If they are extremely deep you are just SOL. This is why I have full coverage insurance. Sorry!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Any imperfection is always noticble to us but not to everyone else try not to look at it. I know the 2000 grit wet sand will lower the clear enough for you to get the scratches out but I it's down to the metal (to deep) than ya your kind of out of luck.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You have to remember you cannot REMOVE deep scratches from clear coat. By using a polish (I'm talking paint correction, NOT wax), or more extreme, sand paper, you can make the scratches less visible by softening their edges. Since you used GM dealer paint, I'm assuming the scratch went all the way through the clear coat AND the paint. Not much you can do at that point short of repainting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.