Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just ordered a Slot ported sub box for my alpine setup.. becouse my sealed box is junk IMO..

id like to know what some of u guys are runnin

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I had a ported box in my old car.
The ported seemed to distort more and you could hear it outside the car at lot.

Then went to a sealed box.
The sealed box had a lot tighter and cleaner bass and better sound.
Also it was loud in the car but not outside.
That was a Alpine 12 inch @ 400 Watts

I'm not putting in this car because i'm happy with bass from the rear 6x9's.
My last car had 5x7 that you can't get any decent bass from.

So i will be posting the amp, Sub and box up forsale.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
what do you listen to? and how do you want it to sound? rock and anything with kick bass and what not i would say sealed because it's going to always sound cleaner and more crisp. if you you want to have more decibels than ported is the way to go. i've got my two 10's in a ported box and it sounds badass regardless of what i listen to mainly because my box is just at tiny bit too small. but i like to take mine to competitions every now and then (nothing serious at all, just shits and giggles) and ported will get you more Db's

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I agree with the sealed box.
In my case I listen to Mostly Country and rock.
exactly why a sealed box would be better. i'm sure you noticed that it was a lot cleaner right?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
My 10" 500W MTX is in a sealed box, and my two 12" 600W JLs were in a sealed box as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yea it was a night and day difference.
The sealed was a lot cleaner and real crisp sounding.
sounding "clean/crisp" doesn't have much to do with your box (unless it sucks) depending on what sub you have makes a difference, personally I like JL audio and sounding clean/crisp has a ton to do with your wires/filters/deck/EQ. Just like a engine if you want the best out of it tuning is critical. The type of box is more for what you listen to its like tight hard hitting bass (rock) sealed vs low deep bass (rap) ported

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
sounding "clean/crisp" doesn't have much to do with your box (unless it sucks) depending on what sub you have makes a difference, personally I like JL audio and sounding clean/crisp has a ton to do with your wires/filters/deck/EQ. Just like a engine if you want the best out of it tuning is critical. The type of box is more for what you listen to its like tight hard hitting bass (rock) sealed vs low deep bass (rap) ported
you pretty much just contradicted yourself there. clean/crisp as in tight bass for things like double bass for metal. if its ported its gonna sound a little less clean than a sealed box

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
sounding "clean/crisp" doesn't have much to do with your box (unless it sucks) depending on what sub you have makes a difference, personally i like jl audio and sounding clean/crisp has a ton to do with your wires/filters/deck/eq. Just like a engine if you want the best out of it tuning is critical. The type of box is more for what you listen to its like tight hard hitting bass (rock) sealed vs low deep bass (rap) ported
JL Audio FTW!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
JL Audio FTW!
x2!!!! never run anything else!

I was running 2 W1's with a JL amp in a sealed box and it was plenty LOUD. that being said, i do prefer ported lol

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Before i relized the stock pioneer system was amazing..LOL i ran a kicker L7 in a ported box. Sound was good but i def recommend a sealed for rock type stuff.

·
Registered
137 Posts
you pretty much just contradicted yourself there. clean/crisp as in tight bass for things like double bass for metal. if its ported its gonna sound a little less clean than a sealed box
contradicted myself I don't understand why you said that?..When you have a good system and everything is tuned in (filters/ect) everything is clean and crisp, when its not "clean" you got distortion going on which can damage your speakers/sub. My box is ported and my JL W7 is crisp and clean as hell even when its hitting low frequency bass that most subs can't even pick up. I've had many systems, many subs and boxes 10"s/12"s/ported/sealed but don't listen to me I'm just a DJ. :laugh:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an Alpine type X 12" in about a 1.8-1.9 cubic ft sealed and stuffed box. With small volume ported boxes, the sound will be loud at the tuning frequency and about as loud at frequencies above that point. A larger volume with the same tune will make a bigger spike in db at the tune. Ported will be about twice as efficient at using watts as sealed (the ~3 db gain from porting is roughly the equivalent of doubling power) however, the drawback to this design is that response will drop off rapidly below the tuning point, and having a sub play below there can damage it because the cone has no pressure controlling its motion. So if you do use ported, a subsonic filter (just a high pass x over for your sub) is a good idea. Sealed box response does not extend as high above the tuning point (tuning is just volume) but on the other hand response can and will extend (safely) lower below it. I like sealed boxes better because they rely on the speaker itself to produce sound, while a ported box relies on a column of air to do the same.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i fell in love with alpines ill prolly never leave the brand...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Personally i have a 15in MTX 9500 and its in a ported box. To all the JL guys i love JL stuff. have had 2 systems in prior cars that were JL and still love it. BUT this sub is louder than a 13.5 W7 easy. even with the ported box it still is very clean and pure bass. Like a prior post said, it mostly depends on the kind of woofer and amount of power ur giving it. i have a MTX 8001 amp and at 4ohms it powers my woofer perfectly and sounds amazing!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.