Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2008 cobalt LT and the adjustment bar on the bottom of the passengers seat fell out of place a long time ago (my friend who previously owned it never knew how to fix it so they just left it) but now the adjustment bar on the bottom of the drivers seat is also loose.. any idea how to fix it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I personally would remove the seat from the car so i could get a good look at whats going on and see if i could see what fell apart but im by no mean a expert mechanic just what i would do

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im also in the same situation. Except mine is completely broken and im pretty sure its stuck over the rear rail bolts right now. I'll work on mine and see if I cant find a way to move it forward.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got my seat removed (with a broken adjuster bar) last week. Ive been busy with mid terms and haven't been able to put up a step by step guide yet with photos. Should have it ready this weekend if i dont celebrate to much.

I also have my heated seat torn apart and diagnosed (I hope). If all goes well when parts come in I might start a separate thread with step by step photos, maybe even a YouTube video.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok here it is. First there are two likely problems why your seat wont move. The 1st and easiest is that the adjuster bar you pull on is detached. 2nd is that the pegs the bar pivots on are broken and the entire seat track will need replaced. The remedy for the 1st scenario will be the first step to the 2nd, only you will have to adjust the bar as necessary till its back in place. And sorta 3rd is there is a blockage in the track, which the solution could vary.

To do this, bend the back ends of the bar in towards each other until the peg on the right side of the bar and (if they're still intact) the pegs from the seat track "both sides" are free of each other. If the 2 pegs coming from the seat rail are intact you can reinstall the bar making sure all the pegs and holes couple with one another.
The image below shows the location of the pegs that are attached to the seat rail. the rivet on the right back side of the bar is the peg coming from the bar.

With the bar removed push down on either of the yellowish plastic pieces that the bar was attached to, while pulling the seat seat forward. Whichever side you were depressing should move the seat forward ever so slightly in a cock-eyed fashion. Repeat this, alternating between each side until your seat is far enough forward for removal. If you have a pry tool that can push these down do so. If not there about 3-5 lbs of force to push down till you fingers bleed enjoy!

Below are images of the right and left side spring points that the bar usually depresses, allowing the seat to move.

With the seat far enough forward. Remove the 2 plastic covers behind the seat exposing the bolts securing it to the floor.

Remove the 2 bolts "15mm" and rock the seat up while pulling back, and the seat should be able to be removed. Make sure all electrical connections are unplugged before pulling to far!!!!

Now you can either replace your entire seat or replace the rail. If anyone needs help replacing just the rail, drop a reply and a can make a how-to if i haven't already fixed both my seats by then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok here it is. First there are two likely problems why your seat wont move. The 1st and easiest is that the adjuster bar you pull on is detached. 2nd is that the pegs the bar pivots on are broken and the entire seat track will need replaced. The remedy for the 1st scenario will be the first step to the 2nd, only you will have to adjust the bar as necessary till its back in place. And sorta 3rd is there is a blockage in the track, which the solution could vary.

To do this, bend the back ends of the bar in towards each other until the peg on the right side of the bar and (if they're still intact) the pegs from the seat track "both sides" are free of each other. If the 2 pegs coming from the seat rail are intact you can reinstall the bar making sure all the pegs and holes couple with one another.
The image below shows the location of the pegs that are attached to the seat rail. the rivet on the right back side of the bar is the peg coming from the bar.
View attachment 19501

With the bar removed push down on either of the yellowish plastic pieces that the bar was attached to, while pulling the seat seat forward. Whichever side you were depressing should move the seat forward ever so slightly in a cock-eyed fashion. Repeat this, alternating between each side until your seat is far enough forward for removal. If you have a pry tool that can push these down do so. If not there about 3-5 lbs of force to push down till you fingers bleed enjoy!

Below are images of the right and left side spring points that the bar usually depresses, allowing the seat to move.
View attachment 19504
View attachment 19505

With the seat far enough forward. Remove the 2 plastic covers behind the seat exposing the bolts securing it to the floor.

Remove the 2 bolts "15mm" and rock the seat up while pulling back, and the seat should be able to be removed. Make sure all electrical connections are unplugged before pulling to far!!!!

Now you can either replace your entire seat or replace the rail. If anyone needs help replacing just the rail, drop a reply and a can make a how-to if i haven't already fixed both my seats by then.
this really helps! thank you i appreciate it.?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts