Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my "new" cobalt back from the shop after sending it in to investigate a ticking problem. Found out that the Timing chain tensioner, timing chain, timing gears, timing guides, as well as the serpentine belt tensioner are all going to hell. All that plus 5 hours labor came to a grand total of $900.....which i dont have since i dumped just about every penny i had into getting this car. Not sure what to do. Is this car a ticking time bomb? Can i still drive it without worrying about blowing up my engine?

HELP:cry::cry::cry:

Syn416

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If your timing chain is ticking I would get it fixed as soon as possible because it can just move slightly and then u have to go buy a new engine. Def wouldnt be driving it a lot until this problem is solved.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Start with the tensioner only, see if it cures anything. Chain won't jump if you have a new tensioner. Serpentine tensioner pulley is only $35 and you can change yourself.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

What year and what mileage do you have on your car?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2006 with 135,000 miles. I'm automotivly retarded and have done almost nothing with cars besides change oil and tires......so idk if i can do that myself.

Syn416

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well some good news. I found the parts at the local O'Riley's for $240 and a local guy who will install it for $180. Better than nothing and definitely better on a college student's budget.

Syn416

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
No time like the present to watch and learn a little. Will save you a lot of money in the long run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.