Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you guys know, I ended up putting my Cobalt in a ditch on the highway last weekend. Surprisingly, everything feels okay, except the alignment might be a tad off. More worried about the camber than the toe, actually. Anyway, yesterday afternoon I decided to take off the front wheels and take a look at the suspension. I didn't see anything horribly wrong, but I also don't know what all to look for. If you guys see anything broken/bent/something that needs replacing in these pictures, please let me know.

Front Suspension Album

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
I can't see any difference.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, steering feels a bit off, but that's likely due to camber. The left-right alignment is actually better than before. Got a bad alignment from a shop a month or two ago.

I did notice that I was able to rotate the right brake rotor when the parking brake with minimal force was on while the left one didn't budge. Might just need new brakes.

Other than that, I didn't notice any new rumbling noises or anything loose.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Well, steering feels a bit off, but that's likely due to camber. The left-right alignment is actually better than before. Got a bad alignment from a shop a month or two ago.

I did notice that I was able to rotate the right brake rotor when the parking brake with minimal force was on while the left one didn't budge. Might just need new brakes.

Other than that, I didn't notice any new rumbling noises or anything loose.
If your talking about the hand brake, that only work the rear brakes. If your car is in neutral, and the e-brake is pulled the front will still be able to spin.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Huh, well I guess Park (I know, autos are lame, but I got it when I was 16, soooo...) doesn't totally lock both the front wheels then.

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
Looks plenty fine to me.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, awesome! Thanks to everyone who took a look. I'll get an alignment pretty soon and hopefully nothing else is wrong.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Both my front wheel bearings went out sometime after I put my car into the ditch. Not sure if that's related. But the dealer replaced them under warranty. I now run studded snow tires in the Winter to help prevent that from ever happening again. Doesn't mean it won't happen again. But I have a much better chance of preventing it from happening.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might be related, but I haven't noticed anything that points to wheel bearings going bad. They shouldn't be too terribly expensive if I need to replace them though. Thanks for pointing that out so I can keep an eye on it.

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
Nor are they very difficult to replace. The most time consuming part is actually getting the damn bearing out of the knuckle.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just replaced my rear driver's side hub and getting the brake drum off was the most time consuming part. Penetrating oil and a hammer are your friends. The hub came right out for me. Only had to whack it once. The vibration from getting the damn brake drum off probably gave it a good start. Next time I have to service anything back there, I'm going to use some anti-seize between the hub and brake drum.

·
Say What again!
6,034 Posts
A gear puller works wonders for those seized drums haha
So does a drum puller.

Took me three days trying to get the drums off the Cav. Tried everything: PB Blaster, Hammer, Crowbar, Air Hammer. Nothing worked.

Bought the drum puller and had it off in three minutes.

Robot Check

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I use a 3 lb hammer and it's all I've ever needed. Smash on that thing until it comes loose. Spin the wheel so you can hit multiple spots and not just one side of the drum. I've only ever had maybe 1-2 that have cracked or broken. I also live in the rust capital of the world so if it works for me it should work for you.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Yup, BFH and elbow grease for me too.

I also live in a part of the world where the average life expectancy of a Mazda3 can be measured with a stopwatch.
Haha I know right!? Ones 5 years old have no rocker panels and the quarters have holes.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I paid $45 CAD each for my front 4 bolt non-ABS wheel bearings. Comes out to about three fiddy US I'd say?
NOW YOU GET RIGHT ON OUTTA HERE, LOCH NESS MONSTER!

Damn Loch Ness Monster always wanting tree fiddy. Swear to God, ain't gettin my tree fiddy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.