Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recorded a YouTube video showing the issue I am having; you can see it here: 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt rough idle/rough exhaust?? Please advise. - YouTube

Excuse my lack of knowledge but it seems as though the idle is a bit rough in terms of noise and vibration. The RPMs are not "shaky" though as can be seen in the tachometer. However it seems as though the engine is idling normally for a bit, then "gurgles" and goes back to normal for a few seconds, then gurgles again. I recorded this with my phone and I apologize if you can't hear exactly what I'm describing. Also when it "gurgles" the exhaust is stronger; more exhaust comes out/more "air." Is this normal? Or is there something causing this? I've had the car since it was brand new in 2009 and it's never really done this before. Only when I first start it, it's more rough, but I assumed that was just the car adjusting to the air around it as it starts. Sorry again if I sound ignorant.

I have the GM Performance exhaust upgrade along with the "performance" intake available for the Cobalt at the time. I drove it about 10 miles before recording this video and it's about 90 degrees Fahrenheit right now. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
11,821 Posts
Throttle body might be getting dirty and check the clamps on the intake to make sure they remained tight.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
I have recorded a YouTube video showing the issue I am having; you can see it here: 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt rough idle/rough exhaust?? Please advise. - YouTube

Excuse my lack of knowledge but it seems as though the idle is a bit rough in terms of noise and vibration. The RPMs are not "shaky" though as can be seen in the tachometer. However it seems as though the engine is idling normally for a bit, then "gurgles" and goes back to normal for a few seconds, then gurgles again. I recorded this with my phone and I apologize if you can't hear exactly what I'm describing. Also when it "gurgles" the exhaust is stronger; more exhaust comes out/more "air." Is this normal? Or is there something causing this? I've had the car since it was brand new in 2009 and it's never really done this before. Only when I first start it, it's more rough, but I assumed that was just the car adjusting to the air around it as it starts. Sorry again if I sound ignorant.

I have the GM Performance exhaust upgrade along with the "performance" intake available for the Cobalt at the time. I drove it about 10 miles before recording this video and it's about 90 degrees Fahrenheit right now. Thanks in advance for your help.
We're sorry to hear of the complications that you have been experiencing with your Cobalt. Unfortunately, I am not a certified technician and I'm unable to offer technical advice, but I'd like to look further into your vehicle concern. Feel free to send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and dealership name? We look forward to hearing from you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Throttle body might be getting dirty and check the clamps on the intake to make sure they remained tight.
Thanks for the reply, turns out it was the cam shaft sensor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.