Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
cobalt newb
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just wondering if any knows if this is possible or not? I would like to get it so when I put on my blinker the inner taillight lights first then the outer.

also on a more advanced note would i be possible to get it so if you have LED taillights they light up in a clockwise circle when you apply the brake? so instead of all the LEDS going on at once the one at 12 turns on first then the others turn on after in a wave so to speak?

examples of what i kind of wanna do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cOvCoulvUc&feature=PlayList&p=ECDBE1A6C30260E6&playnext_from=PL&index=16 (notice how they stay on? i want it to make a full circle and stay on like that)

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Sounds useless and dangerous...lol and confusing for ppl driving behind you. Probaby not worth wasting Ike doing IMO. But to answer your question, no I don't know how to do that, but it won't be too easy.

·
cobalt newb
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i dont want it to be continuous, just when you initially step on brake or put on the signal kind of give it a little different look similar to the new mustangs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Possible? Sure, you could do it... I'm not sure how though. I think you'd need a circuit board and a circuit timer and stuff, seems like a lot of work to me. Also, not my thing, but hey good for you coming up with a new idea.

·
cobalt newb
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was thinking maybe running the power to some sort of regulator which then relays the power to each LED on a seperate delay and leaves it on once it gets there im just not 100% in what type of parts would be needed. was kind of a late night idea before bed. best example is this videos turn signals,

YouTube - LED Tail.mpg

·
mmmm rice<3
837 Posts
you said the new stangs have that? e-mail ford and ask them. or look it up, the schematics. its possible, lots of work and would be super confusing to people around you, and dude it's a cobalt.

·
cobalt newb
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a coupe thats what made me wanna do it I am looking to build LED's into mine so i think this would be a neat little mod and not to mention the learning experience.

·
Registered
254 Posts
it would prob consist of a rewireing of the taillight itself, but it would more then likley not to be super complex, if you know what your doing, just some capacitors and buliding a circut and such. Ill ask my buddy that dose all the electrical related stuff on my rally car. hes an electrical engineer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think its a good idea ive been wondering if it was possible for a while now...i helped install them on my friends 08 mustang (sequentials came in 2010) and it was just i wiring harness that you clip in but im sure it was more complicated then just that but keep researching because im interested in this as well=]

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Sure you can, you can do it on any vehicle with more than one set of lights in the rear. I will do it eventually on my balt just have not had the time to pull everything apart and design a schematic. You can do it 2 ways on the coupe, either wire in a series of relays and drill an extra hole to place an extra bulb in the reverse light that would be specifically for the turn signal or wire in a series of relays and wire diodes into the the reverse light circuit to prevent backflow. you also have to sometimes use resistors to get the sequence correct so both rears flash at the same consistancy. like when you use your hazzards

·
cobalt newb
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
slight update, ive been searching the vast internet over the weekend to figure out the easiest but more efficient way and it seems like a series of relays to get a delay ill be the most efficient, if worst comes to worst i may need to make a small housing area to attach to the trunk lid holding the circuit board. I was looking at an arduino based board but that may be over kill for this project.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sounds like an interesting idea. Would love to see the finished product.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.