Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I return here with hopes of finding a how to on replacing the serpentine belt on the wifes cobalt. And lo and behold, there is a very nice one. However, I don't have the time or the "tool" I need to do the work. It just seems ridiculous that you need a $100 tool to perform such a simple task that should be able to be done with a standard socket and ratchet or breaker bar. I know some say it can be done with 2x4's and a helper or a standard 3/8" ratchet and removing a motor mount, but I just don't have the time, or the helper.
I curse you GM.
You guys on this forum have helped me out several times. The latest being a faulty cam shaft position sensor. I really appreciate the help and was counting on getting something as simple as the serpentine belt done myself. But alas, I will be taking it to the shop in the morning after I drive the wife to school.
Just wanted to send a shout out while I was here.
Take care guys.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
No need to take it to a shop, use a floor jack and a 2x4 or something. Put the jack underneath the car and put the 2x4 on the bottom of the tensioner and Jack up on it. Have that belt changed in 2 minutes

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

Not the greatest video but it should show you what I'm talking about
https://youtu.be/cuZ5XB8ICsI

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RRob: I wish I had the time, but if I can't get it done, it means I have to drive my wife back and forth 50+ miles to and from school another day. Plus, just don't have the time if it turns out to be a little more involved. I am afraid of being stuck with no time and a car with no belt.
Thanks for the encouragment. I wish you lived down the street, I would pay you to do it.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
If I was right down the street I would come change it right now haha, took all of 5 minutes and I actually used a hammer instead of the 2x4. Although I understand not having the time to mess with things sometimes, just hate seeing people have to pay so much money for something so simple

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yah, I am taking it to a guy that works out of a cluttered old pole shed. He has done stuff for me in the past for fairly reasonable prices. I guess i would be satisfied if it cost me $100. I think the belt is only about $20. I will remember to report back how much he charges just in case someone is interested.

I really can't complain. The 2009 cobalt has 170,00 plus on it and I am 98% sure the belt has never been changed. My daughter's 2007 is in the same boat but 2007 with about 160,000 miles. I guess I should check her belt out and maybe I will give the 2x4/Hammer a try. But I will need a bit of clarification exactly how that works and where to position the board.
Thanks again,
Bruce

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
you just position it directly on the bottom of the tensioner closer to the pulley, and then you just jack up on it slowly. you dont need to put a lot of pressure on it, just enough to take the belt off and put the new one on

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Since when do you need any kind of fancy tools? I took my stock belt off without any special tools at all, nor did I have to jack it up. Pretty sure I just put an open-end wrench on the pulley bolt and it rotated just fine. I think I did it through the wheel well, after removing the splash shield.

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Yeah, I did it in my driveway without an issue. I don't remember if mine had the 3/8" drive hole or not.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Yeah but it still works best with the tool. lol Only like $15 at Princess Auto.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I took it in and it only cost me $60 to have it changed to include the new belt. He took off the motor mount and jacked up the motor slightly and did everything from above. He had a tensioner pully tool that ratchets but is still flat. Also, the air tools made pulling the motor mount very easy. He had more trouble getting the air filter cover back on than swapping the belt. Who doesn't think the air filter cover is a stupid design?
Anyway, for $60, I see no reason to get my hands dirty. Besides, even if I buy the cheap tensioner tool, I would have only saved $25.
Oh, by the way, the old belt was down to 3 ribs. I am really surprised it was still holding on.

I guess I need to send my daughter down there with her 2007 cobalt and 160,000 miles to have hers swapped out before it goes to hell.
Thanks for all the input and help fellas.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I gotta change mine soon to but it will last for another 5 months i believe so no worries yet. But i hope you dont have to take it to the shop seems someehat a little easier than replacing something from how im reading this. ☺

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
My old belt on my g5 only had 2 ribs left when I swapped it, but I'm at a shop right now getting a new belt put on the saab I just bought. Threw the belt after 2 hours of driving and I'm still an hour away from home with no tools

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.