Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a week ago when we had a meet around midnight, I noticed my Service Air bag light pop up when I cranked the car up....I was freaking out, read the manual...didnt know what to do, so I turned my car off and turned it back on, went away...

Tonight, I get in my car after I get off work, and there it is again!
Should I really get to the dealer asap to get this fixed?
I just thought it was weird how it has only come up randomly instead of staying on...like my CEL does lol

·
Registered
489 Posts
My Dad's Sunfire did this when he had it. It was a corroded wire that was connected to the relay on the front bumper.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
If you take it in, make sure the light is on because they can't diagnose the problem otherwise. Or do what I do and just ignore it lol(still haven't swapped the right sensors in for my seats)

·
Registered
429 Posts
i had this problem when some stuff shorted out,but then again when i had this problem lots of other stuff happened,power steering went out (didnt have the recall) the A/C went out,the rear defroster went out,the wipers didnt work and it said service air bag. i went to the dealer got the recall work on the ower steering fixed for free but i had to pay 140$ to get the other stuff fixed. they said a few of my fuses blew.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, get it to the dealer. I had this happen on the Aveo that my wife used to own and it was the center display. The one on the Aveo that also has the clock and tells you if the passeger side air bag is on or off. If also could be any of the sensers.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just swapped out my sensors today and I am SO jacked about not having that stupid light! FTW!

·
Registered
869 Posts
It is either high or low resistance/ poor contact in an SIR deployment loop. Each circuit of the airbag system sees a certain amount of measured resistance in them. Once a value exceeds or fails to meet this value it will set the light. Since it is not on steady I'm guessing one of the above conditions. You can take it in whilst the light is either on or off, because the DTC will not dissapear until 100 consecutive failure free ignition cycles, which rarely happens.

This does not require immediate attention, as the airbag will still attempt deployment should a crash occur. You should get it in at earliest convenience though. My money is on either pretensioner deployment loop or side airbags.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.