Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This issue is on a 2006 cobalt and it started after I had to pull the gear shift module out of the center console to resolve an issue with the ignition switch not releasing my keys. That issue was fixed, but after I put everything back together and started the car. Now I have a service airbag indicator on my dash and zero power steering. I've checked the 60amp power steering fuse under the hood and it was fine but replaced it anyways. Check the 2amp power steering fuse in the console compartment and it was fine. Both seem to be getting power to them based on my test light. At this point I am at a loss and don't know where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If I’m not mistaken the air bag module is right under the center console. It’s possible that wiring was disturbed when doing repairs in that area. I’m going off of a guess related to what I’ve seen happen with the wiring harness that goes to the SRS or air bag module. The wires can pull back from the connector and lose connection. Sometimes they will need to be shoved back into the connector. I have seen it on steering columns as well. I have had this happen on quite a few GM trucks. It has happened to where you would plug a connector into its spot but the micro pins will not make enough contact. I’ve had to push them forward into the connector to fix similar issues. Who knows if that’s it, but may be worth a try. Also wiggling the wiring can help find strange issues. I haven’t seen too much wire breakage on these cars except under the hood.

Were there any items replaced while fixing your problem? Did you remove the said part to make the shifter work, like just removed the shift lock and left it out? These cars seem to have weird electrical issues that you’d not think one would affect the other. But reading through the forums it seems to be the case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what I'm thinking but how in the world would that affect the power steering. I did move the pin on the gear shift unit to get the ignition unit to allow the keys to be removed. I'm wondering if this may have been cause by jumping the car. Also I found that I am getting power to all of the power steering controlled fuses and they also tested fine. Now I'm really at a loss.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts