Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone so my service airbag light came out last night while i was driving, and then when i went to pick up my buddy, i started the car and "service airbag" came on but didn't come on after i dropped him off, could it be a loose wire? because the car is accident free , anyone have this looked at and fixed at a dealer? if so can someone give me an estimate on the priceee?

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Might be the passenger seat switch...

·
Registered
924 Posts
This happens to me when I remove the passenger seat, it has a sensor that detects when someone (of a certain weight) is sitting on it, so it can activate/de-activate the passenger airbag.

As said above, check the harness and the wire, if there is not any noticeable damage, your problem could be the switch itself (inside the seat) or the problem could be else where.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats a good point cuz i recently cleaned the inside of my car, so by moving the seats back and forth i probably made the switch loose, ill check it tomorrow hopefully i don't have to bring it in

·
Registered
924 Posts
The length of the wire compensates for seat adjustments, but in some cases, it could have got caught on something and damaged some wires or the harness, if you find wires are damaged, just re join them, if your lucky, which I suspect your not since you don't always get the message, you may have simply pulled out the harness, its under the passenger seat, just push it all the way forward then get in the back and check it out underneath.

·
Registered
149 Posts
this happened to me....a wire came unplugged but still touching inside my steering wheel. I plugged it back in and never had a problem since...read instructions before pulling off airbag on the steering wheel.it's time consuming and would cost a fortune at a dealer.

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
CobaCobaltLT,

What did you see when you checked into things today? Looking forward to an update! I would certainly recommend getting this checked out as it is safety related. If I can be of any assistance, I'm happy to look into anything you like. Get me the last 8 of your VIN and I can check for recalls, for instance.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CobaCobaltLT,

What did you see when you checked into things today? Looking forward to an update! I would certainly recommend getting this checked out as it is safety related. If I can be of any assistance, I'm happy to look into anything you like. Get me the last 8 of your VIN and I can check for recalls, for instance.

Best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service
I checked the wires and everything seems to be fine so i made an appointment and now it comes on more frequently , sometimes every 5 minutes
I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow, but i can certainly give you the last 8 digits of my vin (77328351)
thanks

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
I checked the wires and everything seems to be fine so i made an appointment and now it comes on more frequently , sometimes every 5 minutes
I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow, but i can certainly give you the last 8 digits of my vin (77328351)
thanks
Good morning!

I looked into your Cobalt's information, and am not seeing any open recalls on your vehicle at this time.

For your information, here are the warranty parameters (expiration is by date or mileage, whichever comes first):
Emission Select Component until 10/04/2015 or 130,150 KM
Corrosion Limited Warranty until 10/04/2013 or 160,150 KM
New Vehicle Limited Warranty until 10/04/2010 or 60,150 KM (Expired)
Powertrain Limited Warranty until 10/04/2012 or 160,150 KM

If you should like Customer Assistance at any point after your visit to the dealership, unfortunately I cannot set anything up on my end (as I am a US Customer Service Rep). However, you can get in touch with GM of Canada at 800-263-3777 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

All the best, and still look forward to an update!
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
car is still in the shop...5 hours later and there only diagnosing it, its a good thing they gave me a cruze for the day, otherwise i would be stuck, not happy, i also found a TSB 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Airbag Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) and gave that to the dealer, but it seems way to long for a diagnostic

UPDATE: cars all fixed....yet somehow they managed to get grease on the headliner...no idea how...

·
Chevy Customer Service
794 Posts
car is still in the shop...5 hours later and there only diagnosing it, its a good thing they gave me a cruze for the day, otherwise i would be stuck, not happy, i also found a TSB 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Airbag Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) and gave that to the dealer, but it seems way to long for a diagnostic

UPDATE: cars all fixed....yet somehow they managed to get grease on the headliner...no idea how...
I'm sorry that it may have taken a little long, and to hear that there was some grease on your headliner afterwards (if this was something you wanted to report, we can document this for you), but it's great to know that the airbag issue with your Cobalt's repaired!

All the best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
142 Posts

Can you tell us what was the FIX for your problem...

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you tell us what was the FIX for your problem...
yes, they told me the pin connectors or something like that to the airbag was dirty...so they cleaned them.. and thats wat costed me 150 bones

·
Registered
924 Posts
Damn Stealership.

My car had all the ignition wires cut up, someone tried to steal it, the retard who tried to steal it cut up all the wiper/headlight/signal and some ignition wires, it cost me $700 for them just to join a few wires together, apparently they needed to reset the system too so it could learn the new key.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn Stealership.

My car had all the ignition wires cut up, someone tried to steal it, the retard who tried to steal it cut up all the wiper/headlight/signal and some ignition wires, it cost me $700 for them just to join a few wires together, apparently they needed to reset the system too so it could learn the new key.
Heres a piss off, so my car was fixed as of two weeks ago, today driving, and the "Service airbag light" came on again, but this time its on permanently, so basically they didn't do anything to permanently fix the problem only temperaroliy (sorry for grammar) and now I'm back at the dealership tomorrow where i have to book another appointment, ChevyCustSvc, if they claimed they fixed it, but have not, do i have to pay again, because I am less then happy about this

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
i also have the light on. i took both seats out after it came on and nothing seemed to be loose, so im at a loss and am going to have the dealer look at it. 85 bucks just to look plus whatever may need fixed

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have the same thing. so what I found was If I kept the seat belt pluged in on the passenger side when the car is off then kept it pluged in all the time while driving it never comes on. Then I found that one of the wires where the seat belt connects to the floor had gotten pulled so I ziptied the base of the seatbelt to a certain position and nothing came on. I bet thats your issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.