Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I basically just received this vehicle from my children for Mother's Day (2020).And I was wondering how much and what could the problem be?I filled all 4 tires up to 35 PSI even though the tires say their PSI is 44 PSI's.And the low tire pressure light blinks and then stops blinking after a few minutes but remains lit up on the dash.Could this be a problem with one of the tire sensors in one of the tires?And again how much would it cost for me to get this all looked at?Even a round about amount would be great.Thank You.

·
Registered
83 Posts
FYI the tires maximum pressure at 44 psi should never be exceeded. Always go by the specs on the door jamb sticker. They recommend 32 psi, I usually will go for 35-36 psi for a little better fuel mileage. Going up to the maximum pressure can cause belt shifting inside the internal structure of the tire and cause the center of the tire to wear out quicker than the sides of the tread.

The tire pressure monitors are likely just old and need to be replaced. Most tire installation shops will carry them in stock for $70-$120. Although you can purchase them a bit cheaper online, $30-$50. You will need to make sure they are compatible though. Whoever installs them will have to calibrate them to work with your car. On the last few cars I’ve had that had the tire pressure monitors with problems, I just left them and manually check the tires. They are a nice luxury to have though when they are working properly.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I basically just received this vehicle from my children for Mother's Day (2020).And I was wondering how much and what could the problem be?I filled all 4 tires up to 35 PSI even though the tires say their PSI is 44 PSI's.And the low tire pressure light blinks and then stops blinking after a few minutes but remains lit up on the dash.Could this be a problem with one of the tire sensors in one of the tires?And again how much would it cost for me to get this all looked at?Even a round about amount would be great.Thank You.
Yes it it most likely a dead battery in one or more of the sensors. If you scroll through your information display in the gauge cluster you should see the tire pressures. LF, LR on one display and RL, RR on another. If one of the pressures shows up as -- that will be your indicator as to which sensor is bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts