Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 LS Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a problem with my '07 Cobalt, and was wondering if you guys might have some answers. I have a pretty bad clattering noise under braking, coming from what sounds like the driver's side. For some reason the sound only happens when braking at speeds of over 40-45 mph. The sound also does not occur if the wheel is turned off-center. The brakes work fine, and so does everything else. Any ideas? I will be taking this car on an 1,100 mile journey soon, and would love some advice.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Check your front disk brake’s pad thickness and look closely at the rotor’s surface. Noise from brakes generally results from chatter…due to warn or warped rotors and or pads. It CAN also occur from binding brake hardware. So now after the guesses, tell us more about your 07 LS.such as hoe many miles, what maintenance on the brakes was or has been conducted.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Something is loose in there. Pull the wheel and see if the caliper anchor bolts are intact or loose. Rotors may be cracked or broken. There are anti-rattle spring-plates on the backs of the pads that may have broken off or something. I would not consider a long trip until this has been diagnosed and fixed!

·
Registered
2007 LS Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check your front disk brake’s pad thickness and look closely at the rotor’s surface. Noise from brakes generally results from chatter…due to warn or warped rotors and or pads. It CAN also occur from binding brake hardware. So now after the guesses, tell us more about your 07 LS.such as hoe many miles, what maintenance on the brakes was or has been conducted.
Hi. The car has a little under 137,000 miles on it. The pads still have good thickness on them.

·
Registered
2007 LS Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something is loose in there. Pull the wheel and see if the caliper anchor bolts are intact or loose. Rotors may be cracked or broken. There are anti-rattle spring-plates on the backs of the pads that may have broken off or something. I would not consider a long trip until this has been diagnosed and fixed!
Thanks for the reply! I should add that the car has had this problem now for quite a while, and I have taken it on the same trip I mentioned before with no issue.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had a similar noise and it turned out to be a stripped caliper anchor bolt. That loosened enough to let the caliper bang around each time the brakes were applied. I would pull the wheel for a look-see.

·
Registered
2007 LS Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will note that I did have the entire driver's side inspected recently, after I had some damage from hitting a curb (the noise was there long before this happened.)The place I took it to specializes in brakes and suspension, so i would think that they would have said something had they noticed something wrong.

·
Registered
2007 LS Coupe
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a similar noise and it turned out to be a stripped caliper anchor bolt. That loosened enough to let the caliper bang around each time the brakes were applied. I would pull the wheel for a look-see.
That would make a lot of sense. However, as I said below, I recently had the whole driver's side inspected after I hit a curb. (The sound was there long before this happened.) I believe this included an inspection of the brakes on that side, although I do not know how through this inspection was. I did actually have a separate sound a little later, which was caused by a bolt they forgot to tighten, which I believe made what you described happen. However, this was a totally different feeling. More of a grinding under braking than a clattering. Anyway, I took it back to them and they fixed it. As a result, I feel like they would have mentioned to me if they had noticed anything wrong with my brakes other than what they caused, considering how much they worked on them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If it is not the brakes then it is maybe all the other stuff that loads/unloads under braking: ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar and bushings, control arm bushings, wheel hubs, lots of things that can make noise under load. I think is is time to break out the tools and get dirty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would inspect rotor, brake pad, caliber, or even try bleeding the brake fluid if all the hardware is in working condition. Also after reading your post of an accident, you should check motor/transmission mounts.

Hello. I have a problem with my '07 Cobalt, and was wondering if you guys might have some answers. I have a pretty bad clattering noise under braking, coming from what sounds like the driver's side. For some reason the sound only happens when braking at speeds of over 40-45 mph. The sound also does not occur if the wheel is turned off-center. The brakes work fine, and so does everything else. Any ideas? I will be taking this car on an 1,100 mile journey soon, and would love some advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts