Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone.. I am new here. I am so glad I found this site cause I really need some advice.. I bought my cobolt new in 2006, I have had nothing but problems with it.. I have changed my rotors struts, breaks, had alignment, new tires, new rims.. I am at my wits end.. When I stop or slow down I get a terrible shaking in the steering wheel and I can feel it in the brake pedal. but it doesn't do it if I stop or slow down in a turn. I have taken it to the dealership so much but they always say they cant find anything wrong. Well now I have no warrenty and stupid me didn't purchase the extended one.. Can anyone give me help as to what this might be

·
Registered
680 Posts
Your rotors could be warped from driving thru large puddles when their hot?
Has happened to me before...Just get them suckers re-surfaced and you should be good.
Just need someone to clarify if that's the problem or not since I'm not totally sure.
Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Hello everyone.. I am new here. I am so glad I found this site cause I really need some advice.. I bought my cobolt new in 2006, I have had nothing but problems with it.. I have changed my rotors struts, breaks, had alignment, new tires, new rims.. I am at my wits end.. When I stop or slow down I get a terrible shaking in the steering wheel and I can feel it in the brake pedal. but it doesn't do it if I stop or slow down in a turn. Can anyone give me help as to what this might be
OK you said you have replaced the rotors, so as long as you did NOT get them replaced at the dealer low chance of warpage. You said you have new rims, did you get and/or install the hubcentric rings on the inside of the wheels? If those rings are not there you wil get vibrations like you described.

·
Say What again!
6,033 Posts
did you get and/or install the hubcentric rings on the inside of the wheels? If those rings are not there you wil get vibrations like you described.
Where do those come from?

And yeah, most likely warped rotors.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Should have got them from where you bought the wheels. Last two place that I bought wheels from would not install the wheels on the car unless I bought those rings. Learned the hard way on the Balt with the bad shimmy without them, once installed, no shimmy.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
Warped rotors can be fixed by turning them on a leathe, the face surface is generally what warps not the whole rotor, I can tell if it is the face or the rotor as a whole by watching how the lathe spins the rotor. If it is the whole rotor it needs discarded if it is the face and you stay within the minimal surface requirement you for sure can resurface a warped rotor safely.

·
Registered
978 Posts
mine is going this as well i was told it was warped rotors as well

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
my car shook when i was slowing down at high speeds and even low speeds. my rotors were warped. so i got them resurfaced and everything is fine

·
Registered
144 Posts
Only when you slow down/stop in a straight line.... Did you replace the pads when you did rotors? Hubcentric rings.... Probably not the issue at all since it has nothing to do with how straight your rim is, it only sits your rim on the hub "straight". I've put many rims on vehicles without the rings, it's one of those things that people can get extra money from you and one of the things that works if you believe it will. They do help at times but the only thing that really happens to help with them is the face that it basically expands the hub from stocj to that of the rim which in turn, lets the person put the lugnuts on properly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.