Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got alignment, rotation, and balancing done but car still shakes. I've replaced:
•struts/shocks
•coil springs
•tie rods inner and outer
•sway bar links
•control arms and bushings
Pretty much my whole suspension... is it my axels?
Happens at 45-55mph
Need help! Hope you guys can give me a little guidance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got alignment, rotation, and balancing done but car still shakes. I've replaced:
•struts/shocks
•coil springs
•sway bar links
Happens at 45-55mph
I would have a qualified tech check the abs module when they begin to fail they sometime pulse in no paticular order left, right, both times worse then others. look in to replacing or programing the ABS module might be a few hundred but it is worth looking in to have it scanned for DTC'S good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
•struts/shocks
•coil springs
•sway bar links
Happens at 45-55mph
CV joints (axels) can make a car do that - have you had them checked for cracked boots or bad joints? I don't think the axel set is too costly for these cars (we've just gotten done with changing the sway bar links, struts-shocks, springs, brake pads, rotors, and caliper brackets with the guide pins. We have the lower control arms to change out yet but our CV joints look to be in good shape (about the only thing). Partsgeek has a set of TRQ ones for around $115 (if they fit your Cobalt).

·
Registered
1 Posts
•struts/shocks
•coil springs
•sway bar links
Happens at 45-55mph
I noticed you didn't say anything about your tires.
My 09 did that and didn't see anything on my tires until 1 day in the right light, a knot on the inside inner tread. New tire fixed the problem.
By the way it shook and made rattling noise I just knew I'd need an alignment as well but all was good after new tires.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I’ve had seemingly excellent tires on my cars over the years. And more so on customers car. Sometimes right off the shelf the tire/s may be defective. I see at least 1-3 cars a week with such issues. They may be slightly out of round from a manufacturing defect.

Also a bent rim of the wheel can cause it. A good tire tech will be able to balance the wheel to take the vibration out. When a wheel is bent from the center, like from lug nut into the spokes, it can have what’s called excessive lateral runout, bent wheel. This problem I have on my Cobalt on a couple wheels. The car was wrecked by a previous owner. Anyways, the tire shop can do what’s called a road force balance or high speed balances and if the machine is calibrated, and tech is good and takes pride in his work, can eliminate the vibration. Sometimes only to a point. But I tell you the little Mexican shop that did my tire balance eliminated the high speed vibration I’d sometimes get.

I’ve also replaced control arm bushings, warped rotors, passenger side CV axle. The rear control arm bushing make a huge difference. Later I’m going to swap some aluminum control arms in to further stiffen the suspension.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Have we heard of dynamic balance?
This problem also raises its head about 45-55 mph.
If the OP can have someone pace them while the car is shaking, the observing car may see what wheel (hopping) that is giving the problem. Either that or get a friend with a more sensitive “—-“ or feel tell you what corner the vibration is coming from.
A quick test....if your hands shake at 45-55 then it’s from the front.
If your seat shakes more than your hands,.,. It in the rear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all responses and past experiences. I took it in to get inspected. Was told mounts were bad so trying that. Already tried balancing twice. We'll see if that does the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts