Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know if anyone has seen any of this yet. but what alot of people are starting to do is drawing on what you want to paint with a sharpie. then using clear coat to go over it. im no bad ass artist like my friend who just did his whole bike but i decided to do it with my interior trim pieces today. ill try to get some pics on here. but for those who havent seen some of this work check out this site.

Sharpie Paint Job. - my.IS - Lexus IS Forum

·
Registered
70 Posts
i've seen this plenty of times and not to float my boat but i am a pretty decent artist and have been contemplating doing this on my interior trim as well. we shall see

·
Registered
212 Posts
sounds cool, but wouldn't it fade with time?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
sounds cool, but wouldn't it fade with time?
not if it was clearcoated afterwards.

i was reading around in the links in the OP and they guy that did the BMW said that when he first started washing his car, a residue came off the sharpie, but it didnt change the look. even thru claybars and wax it still held up for him

i wanna see what this would look like on a red car

·
Say What again!
6,011 Posts
That's very interesting, to say the least...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
There was a local guy here with a sharpied White G5, I'll try to get in contact with him so it can be used for referrance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
One word... "AWESOME" - Love it!!! Need to have talent to attempt it though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That would look purdy cool on a balt if you had a cool lil design
I personally don't have the paitience for it tho, I'd get 20 minutes into it an be like fux this lol

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
have a tattoo artist or something do it. give em' an idea and they'll draw it up. but that is a pretty sweet concept. of course they'd have to clear coat it afterwards so it would stick and stay through all the elements longer.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
According to WVG5 (Now "WVSpeed6"), trying to clearcoat sharpie causes it to smear/run.

So if you do "Sharpie" art, you'll have to do it with something other than sharpie that can withstand clear coating.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
According to WVG5 (Now "WVSpeed6"), trying to clearcoat sharpie causes it to smear/run.

So if you do "Sharpie" art, you'll have to do it with something other than sharpie that can withstand clear coating.
I wonder how clear protective vinyl film would work, Probably only look good for a little while tho and then it will start to yellow.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I wonder how clear protective vinyl film would work, Probably only look good for a little while tho and then it will start to yellow.
I would imagine that something from 3M should be made well enough to resist yellowing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.