Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I decided to try and make a gated shifter plate out of some spare aluminum plate I had.

Problem is the the plate sits so low on the shift stick, and the gears are spaced too close together, there isn't enough room to allow for individual slots for each gear.

I would have to build up the console around the shifter to a point where the stick has enough left and right play for individual slots.

That seemed like too much work (for now).

So this is what I have come up with.

Just an aluminum plate cut to fit, wrapped if faux carbon fibre, and silicon'd in place.

Then I glued some stretchy material underneath to fill the space.

Quick trip to the hardware store for some copper, and the shaft is covered with shiny brass look :cheesy:

Feedback Please! :)

V1

V2

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Looks decent and professional

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Looks good, I'd just be wary of the material failing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good, I'd just be wary of the material failing.
This material is actually pretty strong. I used it to cover one of my couches in my basement, lol. Its ridiculously stretchy, so I think it should hold up. If it does give out, its easy enough to change. I am going to experiment with different materials and colours once get the shaft polished.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I think it looks even better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks great - any plans to create a how to?
Thanks!

This project started off as one thing, and wound up this way due to obstacles, and my unwillingness to overcome them, lol. Sometimes my lazyness turns out some of my best ideas, haha.

Now that I know the process, I will create a write up for the forum.

Maybe tomorrow I'll take some pics and work on it then.

·
Say What again!
6,000 Posts
Definitely different, but done very cleanly, nice job!

Now, when you said gated shifter, this is what originally came to mind...

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
He said he wanted that but the shifter doesn't move enough unless you build it up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He said he wanted that but the shifter doesn't move enough unless you build it up.
Correct. The console around the shifter needs to to be raised to the point where the gear lever has enough left and right play for the individual gear slots.

Might play with some fiberglass this winter and see what I can do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.