Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to replace the 08 cobalt shifter knob with a custom one? Its a Sport 5 speed model and i have a red led knob i would like to install, but when i tried to unscrew mine, its kinda stuck lol... any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,700 Posts
to take it off, you have to feel around the top of the shift boot for a plastic ring. turn it to the left about 1/4 turn. then you can push the boot down. then pull straight up on knob. it pops right off. its an odd set up and to put a custom one on you have to figure out how to fab the aftermarket one. or buy a new shift boot with a threaded top. pm me if you want to know how i did mine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol i was gonna Pm you, but i dont have 10 posts lmao. Can you pm me what you did. I'm interested to hear it man.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Most ppl who have a new shift knob have either..
A, purchased the TWM short throw shifter (which has a threaded bar)
or B, threaded there stock knob.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
i used the factory boot with my aftermarket knob, i just slid the boot inside the knob, and slid it down onto the shaft. simple really

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The aftermarket knob i have has two peices to it. They screw together as if they were to slide the boot into it then tread together around it. If that makes any sense. But how do i get the boot off of the knob presently. Becuase the knob which is on there atm, looks like the boot comes all the way up and is built right into it?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
to take it off, you have to feel around the top of the shift boot for a plastic ring. turn it to the left about 1/4 turn. then you can push the boot down. then pull straight up on knob. it pops right off. its an odd set up and to put a custom one on you have to figure out how to fab the aftermarket one. or buy a new shift boot with a threaded top. pm me if you want to know how i did mine.
The aftermarket knob i have has two peices to it. They screw together as if they were to slide the boot into it then tread together around it. If that makes any sense. But how do i get the boot off of the knob presently. Becuase the knob which is on there atm, looks like the boot comes all the way up and is built right into it?
The post by scagnetti76 describes it, it is only held on there by the lock ring, because the lower half the factory shift knob has a lock to it, which when the ring is turned a quarter the way, will allow it to come off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.