Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 05 base model and want to change my shift knob how do i get the stock one off? i will eventually am going to install a short throw but dont have the $$$ right know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its held in by threads so you have to screw it off, right?

·
Banned
384 Posts
no you dont screw...you have to pull the boot down and then it slides right off

·
Registered
80 Posts
to get it off, there should be a small plastic ring right around where the boot and the shift knob meet, grip it firmly and twist it towards you, like a screw. Then when you get the part "loosened" the plastic part will just simply slide down. Then after you get the boot off the base of the knob, grip the knob, and pull. You will have to pull pretty hard, but not to hard, otherwise you may go flying into your backseat, or injure yourself somehow on the roof. If it doesnt work, let me know and ill make a DIY for ya. I assumed you have a 5-speed.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
to get it off, there should be a small plastic ring right around where the boot and the shift knob meet, grip it firmly and twist it towards you, like a screw. Then when you get the part "loosened" the plastic part will just simply slide down. Then after you get the boot off the base of the knob, grip the knob, and pull. You will have to pull pretty hard, but not to hard, otherwise you may go flying into your backseat, or injure yourself somehow on the roof. If it doesnt work, let me know and ill make a DIY for ya. I assumed you have a 5-speed.
you forgot about the 4 plastic tabs you need to pry up before you can pull it off, suggest grabbing a few pennies to hold the tabs out of the groove they are in, then you can pull up. it should come off with a bit of force. I busted 2 tabs off mine trying to get it of with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i finally got it off i just ended up breaking off the little tabs on the bottom and had to get 2 hands and just freaking pull really hard, funny thing is i almost gave myself a black eye ha ha ha ha ha ha. I had bought the car used and i think somebody used an epoxy to hold it on, at least that is what it looked like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.