Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys after frustratingly trying to figure out why my cobalt's shifter is moving hard, I think I may have found out why but just wanted to clarify a few things.

My car's shifter moves very hard and everyone I know keeps telling me that my bushings are extremely dirty and need to be cleaned. I have heard a lot about these TWM short shifter kits ( I already have a short shifter in mine =)) but just out of curiosity what exactly and where exactly are these bushings located?

1: What/Where Are My Shifter Bushings In My 2007 Cobalt LS 5 SPD Manual?

2: What Should I Use To Clean Them?

3: If problem persists, what could be causing my shifter not to "glide" and be "stiff"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not the fact that I can't get into gear, the shifter just feels tight as hell compared to all other cobalts. Moving the shifter is just hard like it's "stiff" then I get in my buddies and drive and his shifter glides from gear to gear like butter. How can I get the same results?

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
I remember changing the bushings (feet) of the shifter box when I swapped in my TWM. Don't know if they really made a difference though.

Try draining the ATF and fill it up with Dexron VI or MT-90. That should help and it's pretty inexpensive to do. Check for any particles in the old fluid. Brass is your synchros, dull grey are your gears and a black material is your clutch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked everything over, and we have come to a possible conclusion, the shifter actually resists within the linkage, popped the hood and look and it looks like where the linkage is hooked in is extremely dirty. how to unhook and clean?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.