Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
HELP 馃槶My 09 colbalt LT wont shift out of first! then when i try to go in reverse it just stays there and idols. It doesnt even try to move. I was thinking the TCM but im not 100% sure. Any advice is much appreciated. I love my baby i would hate to part with her.

Registered
Sounds more like a mechanical issue than electronic. It could be various things but more than likely the hydraulic passageways are losing pressure and not allowing it to shift into other gears. It is quite common on these cars when the transmission has never been serviced. It should have had service done around 90,000 miles and again at about 150,000 miles. I鈥檇 personally suggest to most people to just do the fluid and filter services at 50,000 mile intervals.

The average transmission rebuild will run $2300. Installing a used one should be about $1500. Maybe less if you can find someone with very low hourly rates. Locally I can get a used transmission for about $130, but the catch is I have to remove it in the junkyard myself. The yards that retrieve the part for you usually sell them for between $300-$900, it all depends on the junkyard.

I suggest to get an option from a mechanic that knows how to diagnose transmissions, or go to a dedicated transmission shop. And do your research on the shop. Look up reviews for the shop before going with one.

Replacing the transmission also depends on the overall condition of your car. If the engine needs a lot of work, it may not be worth it. But if the engine otherwise runs well, it can be worth it to do the repairs. And if the repairs are too great, you may be better off using the money to buy another vehicle. It can be a difficult choice.

Registered
I found something that a transmission shop or mechanic would be able to check for. The part is located inside the transmission pan and can cause line pressure to decrease or bleed into the pan causing loss of gear engagement. I would kind of hope this is all the problem is. Would be nice. Have a watch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts