Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Short Throw Shifter Question

8K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  5t3alth 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to buy a short throw shifter for my 06 Cobalt LS. I've seen a lot of people talk about putting a Cavalier shifter on them... But do all the eBay Cavalier shifters fit the Cobalt? I don't want to buy one until I know for sure it'll fit.

#3 ·
cosmo shifters will not sell you theirs, out of business :( TVM is the next thing for it under Hurst :)

#6 ·
Im not saying all of them wont, but you need to ensure that the short shifter has the correct adapter setup that is the same on your cobalt. TVM and Hurst when they sell them on any website, look at the difference from the SS and other models, you will notice the adapter piece is a bit different.

If your car is an LS or LT or base, your factory transmission should be a F23, which is the same as the Saturn Ion. The other company is what ^ stated :)

#5 ·
#8 ·
If the glove fits, wear it :)

#10 ·
I have a TWM and I can say it's nice but if I did it again I'd get the BilletProShop shifter since it's cheaper and I've never seen a bad review. I ordered and then later noticed a discount I missed for free shipping and TWM wouldn't respond to me asking for them to refund shipping.

#13 ·
thats not true. what makes a shifter feel like a quality shifter? its not the bent piece of metal...its the knob. i had a cavalier short throw(from ebay) in my old cavalier and threw a razo weighted shift knob on it and it felt just as good as any of the branded shifters. it did that exact same thing as them all, gave me a shorter throw.
if you're on a budget a cavalier short throw will fit your cobalt, i think the 2.0s are different but i think its just the reverse lock-out.... but dont quote me on that one. there's a how to somewhere on the internet just google it.

#14 ·
I think its like 02-05 cavaleir shifters will fit lt and ls. The ss uses a slightly difierent shifter including reverse lockout.

#17 ·
I bought the cosmo one just a couple weeks ago, it was a little under $100 shipped. Feels great. Make sure to tell them you need the reverse lock out part, I told them no reverse lock out and ends up thats part of the shift knob. So i had them send me the reverse lock out part ( they shipped for free with no hassle, good service) and I just didnt put the spring for it in. Make sure you grease everything and you'll enjoy the shifter for half of TWMs price. I find ebay shifters sketchy. I bought from cosmo racings website.

#20 ·
ebay shifters are copys of the bigger names. its no different than an intake or exhaust. well...exhaust might be a different story at times. an intake is an intake, if its off ebay the filter might be shitty but the piping will do what its supposed to, same as a shifter.
the quality will be felt in the shift knob

#21 ·
agreed sir, if you buy ebay products, expect grocery store brand type quality you need to rely on getting back and forth for transportation. Like for example, buying Walmart brand car parts (Super Tech), its not meant to last, but for a ''band-aid''.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.