Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I believe you can just cut and tap. But just because the length of the handle is shorter doesn't mean the throw will be shorter.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Wait, so you want to buy a STS and THEN cut it shorter?! I thought you were looking to cut your stock to the same as the cosmo?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean if I can cut mine and get virtually the same shorter throw then I will just do that, but if not ill just get the Cosmo and cut it to be the same height as the one in the pic. I like the stance haha

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
The throw length isn't changed by shortening the handle. It's in the angle and length of the bottom half that attaches to the shift assembly.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

I paid way more than that, so I would go with the cosmo if that is what you like. Mine is roughly the same height as the stock, just a shorter throw.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The throw length isn't changed by shortening the handle. It's in the angle and length of the bottom half that attaches to the shift assembly.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

I paid way more than that, so I would go with the cosmo if that is what you like. Mine is roughly the same height as the stock, just a shorter throw.
Oh okay. Well I'm definitely going with Cosmo for STS but I just kinda want the stance in the photo from the site.. If its not possible or practical then I won't do it at all ill just keep whatever height the shifter gives me, but I want to have that shorty stance nam sayin' lol

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Well, we can confirm with Banker but I'm pretty sure they all look like that. You use your stock boot.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts

That's how short it is. It's in first. I have a video somewhere on YouTube that shows how short the throws are. I'll find that too

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

That's it. Great song

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
To shorten the throws, you need to add to the bottom of the shifter rod under the pivot point. To shorten the shifter, just cut and tap the top. To shorten both, take off from the top and what you take off, add to the bottom and adjust from there. It is a pain to do the cutting and welding if you don't know what you're doing or if you don't have access to a welder, but STS's are the same thing as the stocks except with a longer bottom half. That's all. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@BankerBalt: that looks great man! Is that basically the same thing as the Cosmo Racing shifter?

@Leveecius: Oh okay. If I get a STS Ill have the shorter throw I want, so the only thing I would need to do is trim it from the top correct?

Im sorry for all of the questions... I just want to know what im getting myself into before I do anything, and I know you and Banker have been with the forum for a while and know whats up.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
@BankerBalt: that looks great man! Is that basically the same thing as the Cosmo Racing shifter?

@Leveecius: Oh okay. If I get a STS Ill have the shorter throw I want, so the only thing I would need to do is trim it from the top correct?

Im sorry for all of the questions... I just want to know what im getting myself into before I do anything, and I know you and Banker have been with the forum for a while and know whats up.

How many times do I have to tell you that it IS the damn Cosmo shifter

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.