Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EDIT: Im pretty sure I misspelled pirsue so if anyone can correct me please do so :)

Ok so I'm watching Fox News and something came on just now about the danger associated with police chases and if they are worth it when it puts other lives in danger. Some people think it puts more people in danger(the officers, pedestrians, other motorists)than it's worth. One guy was suggesting maybe certain conditions should be met before a pirsuit is started. Stuff like is it a wanted fugitive, someone with a warrant etc. and if not then just let them go. This just made me curious as to what everyone on the forums thinks about the subject.

Should cops pirsue no matter what, should certain conditions be met first, or should they just abandon the practice all together and figure out other ways of bringing these people to justice? I think if police were to just let people go it would cause much more harm than good with more people figuring hey I can just do whatever i want on the road and just take off if they pull me over.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
:) first its Pursue, im bad to misspell words too...haha

2ndly there are alot of conditions that some cops follow as to keep chasing & what-not... but i think its better to keep on them b/c just like u said, they'll start thinking "ok, if i do THIS they'll stop & then i can get away w/ basically anything"
but i'm almost always on the cops' sides anyways, so... but yeah, sometimes its better to let them go b4 it gets too far, its just what counts to me as 'too far' would be diff for you... so idk, lol

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I feel like some conditions should be met but some people might take advantage of those then. For example if you are going over a certain kilometer and hour in japan the police cant chase after you. Maybe enforce a rule like that here but then you wouldnt want people blowing down the freeways at that speed and figuring hey as long as i keep it at this high speed the cop cant even chase after me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:) first its Pursue, im bad to misspell words too...haha

2ndly there are alot of conditions that some cops follow as to keep chasing & what-not... but i think its better to keep on them b/c just like u said, they'll start thinking "ok, if i do THIS they'll stop & then i can get away w/ basically anything"
but i'm almost always on the cops' sides anyways, so... but yeah, sometimes its better to let them go b4 it gets too far, its just what counts to me as 'too far' would be diff for you... so idk, lol
Just out of curiosity what would you consider "too far"?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I think yes if it is going to put other peoples lives at danger, and the pursuit has been going on too long, they should call it. I've seen it happen on cops. They chase someone for like 10 minutes then he starts going through town blowing red lights and stuff, and it was right around time when school let out. S kids were all over the place, the cops said forget it, let him go. Its not worth the risk to these kids.

Thats how i think it should be. Not saying they shouldnt pursue people at all, but if it get to dangerous they should know when to call it.

I think theres a law that a cop cannot be in a highspeed chase(over 100mph) because it is too dangerous for the officer and the other people on the road. I believe this is for resendential areas, and high population areas.

·
Registered
802 Posts
ok well here's something i'm sure everyone's seen tokyo drift.. and the part where he's talkin if you goin an excess amount over the speed limit that they let you go... wel that's true.. but thing is those are just street racers and drifters.. but i do think that they should obviiously persue stolen vehicle's and all that good jazz and drunk drivers... it's kind of ehh win win lose lose situation tho goin on

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I think yes if it is going to put other peoples lives at danger, and the pursuit has been going on too long, they should call it. I've seen it happen on cops. They chase someone for like 10 minutes then he starts going through town blowing red lights and stuff, and it was right around time when school let out. S kids were all over the place, the cops said forget it, let him go. Its not worth the risk to these kids.

Thats how i think it should be. Not saying they shouldnt pursue people at all, but if it get to dangerous they should know when to call it.

I think theres a law that a cop cannot be in a highspeed chase(over 100mph) because it is too dangerous for the officer and the other people on the road. I believe this is for resendential areas, and high population areas.
I agree.... hahaha so that's my "too far" i reckon, lol... and yeah, i think that is a law...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yes.... But

Yes, however there has to be a balance between the seriousness of the violation committed, OTHER means to bring this pursuit to a safe conclusion, considering the safety of the public, the officer and the violator.

GTO 1

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Yes, however there has to be a balance between the seriousness of the violation committed, OTHER means to bring this pursuit to a safe conclusion, considering the safety of the public, the officer and the violator.

GTO 1
Yeah, that too... I knew u'd have an answer! :laugh: Guess there is no set-in-stone answer...

·
Registered
455 Posts
i think it all depends on the situation. If your talking about on a wide open highway or interstate, then they should definitely go after them. The problem is that some people know where they can run from the cops because of traffic. For example, on the west side highway coming out of Manhattan if you got guts you can cut in and out and do 100 mph, but any cops pursuing would get stuck in the traffic. It really comes down to a judgement call on the part of the cop i think. Unfortunately, there doesnt seem to be any concrete answer.
on a completely different note, i love your pic Skie. That's the guy from V for Vendetta right? lol

·
Sneezing Daily
1,155 Posts
The police should always be able to pursue someone who makes the stupid decision to run.

Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile.
I think this is true, but then again, you have to look at why the person was pulled over, and why they decided to run.

If police decide to end a chase, they are supposed to make it as if they are, shutting the lights/siren off, and turning around, not continuing to follow. Hopefully the person sees this and will slow down, otherwise you might just have a person thinking that the cops are still pursuing them and will keep running and driving as fast as they were when the chase was happening.

You also have the people that don't realize, the cops have your plate number and information ran already they know where you live, and will be waiting for you if they stop pursuing or you end up escaping.

·
Premium Member
3,783 Posts
Many times the car is the owner, therefor get the plate than call off chase, get them later. There are certain standards as people have said to whether a pursuit is just abandoned and there are circumstances where they keep going, like after a murder, kidnapper, stolen vehicle.

Intodays world though, police should just request helicopter, have that follow and they back off and get them when they think they have gotten away or until they wreck. In Japan, all cars from factory do have a certain kph they are allowed to go, including police, so therefor, they cannot chase a car that is say, moded with the governor or whatever has been removed.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Helicopters FTW. Let the cops back off and have the choppers watch where they are going.
Or better yet, GPS shutoff devices installed in everyones car! I would be happy to install one in my ride, if some jerk stole my car I want it shut off as soon as cops are around. Then at least I get the car back in one piece. And yeah....with GPS they can track your movements, but oh well, if you arent doing anything wrong, then so what? Track my a$$ to McDonalds.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.