Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Don't know anything about Cobalt SS' and stumbled upon this one while looking for a car. Always like boosted cars and I've owned and driven several in the past. The car has a kinda strange problem, so I wanted to go over it. If anyone wants to point anything out, or has something I should look for or listen for, please let me know.

Here are pics - Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

So the car has 130,000 miles. Interior is pretty good.

I drove it for about 5 min and every seamed ok. The main issue was if you maxed the throttle in low gear the gauges would all stop working (except the boost gauge). I was told this is a known issue, and the car has been to the dealership and it stopped working properly soon after again. I'd been told there is paperwork to prove this. Other than that everything seamed ok.

I'm looking to buy at the end of the month. Let me know if there is anything I should look for next time I go to see it.

What do you think its worth?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Nvr herd of this problem. How much is he asking for it. A couple things immediately jump out bad about this car for me. It had to of been in a front accident cuz thats the wrong front bumper aka doesn't have the lip and high miles plus the issue u mentioned. I wouldn't pay over 4g for it.

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
It has the right bumper if it's a 2.4

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hell yeah I'd buy this!
But that's due to I'm stuck with a 2006 LS 2.2 ...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If you have a 2.2 cobalt it's kinda pointless to upgrade to the ss sc since you can easily just sc your 2.2.

Also coby it's not a 2.4 if you see the rear it has the rear valance piece so it's been crashed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you have a 2.2 cobalt it's kinda pointless to upgrade to the ss sc since you can easily just sc your 2.2.

Also coby it's not a 2.4 if you see the rear it has the rear valance piece so it's been crashed.
It is? but why can't I find the SS OEM body to fit my LS? I don't want the ebay body kits.. The only one I really liked is the RK but it's way too expensive for me to get...

·
Super Moderator
11,821 Posts
Double check your info! it's a 2006

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nvr herd of this problem. How much is he asking for it. A couple things immediately jump out bad about this car for me. It had to of been in a front accident cuz thats the wrong front bumper aka doesn't have the lip and high miles plus the issue u mentioned. I wouldn't pay over 4g for it.
You kinda scared me. Ran the VIN, Doesn't look like its ever been crashed. I think I could get it for $6k. I'll link a copy of the vehicle history report.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_KC9ipzrVvRN1JYek1pckF3ZWc/view

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

It is a 2.0.... I googled an image and the bumper looks correct...

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/chevrolet/cobalt/2005/oem/2005_chevrolet_cobalt_coupe_ss-supercharged_fq_oem_1_300.jpg

Plus 130K miles is only slightly above average for a 10 year old car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That neon green Caravan tho.

It's got an aftermarket exhaust, which probably means it's been beaten. Sticker is 6k, so you can definitely do better.
no hes asking 6900, which is the kbb

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 PM ----------

That neon green Caravan tho.

It's got an aftermarket exhaust, which probably means it's been beaten. Sticker is 6k, so you can definitely do better.
the sticker says $999 down. and how in hell will you find a 10 year old Cobalt SS that hasnt been beaten... lets be honest

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not everyone jerked off to F&F, there are clean examples of any car out there. Plenty of stock Cobalts where I'm from.
idk what youre trying to say

---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

idk what youre trying to say
ok you mean not everyone beats on them.... yea idk being realistic I see cars like this changing hands a lot and being driven quickly

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 PM ----------

they keep value though because of the huge aftermarket they are inexpensive to fix... at least thats my perception

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
im highly thinking about it, last turbo car i owned was a 89 cellica all trac. and this thing is way faster

·
Say What again!
6,011 Posts
Not everyone jerked off to F&F, there are clean examples of any car out there. Plenty of stock Cobalts where I'm from.
Tons of them here as well.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
It's the wrong bumper ppl.... It's not too hard to find a clean ss. The sc ones are harder to find clean but not too difficult. If you look at it ask them about that front bumper.

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

im highly thinking about it, last turbo car i owned was a 89 cellica all trac. and this thing is way faster
Also the 05-07 ss' are supercharged not turbo.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

It's missing the front lip....

·
Premium Member
2,068 Posts
Also it has a boost gauge which would lean towards it being supercharged and not a 2.4. The ss/SC is quick but not blindingly fast stock.. But if it Feels slow maybe it's a 2.2 with the ss body kit or something is wrong with it

---------- Post added at 11:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 AM ----------

Also the rear bumper is missing the inserts which pushes me to believe it was replaced

·
Say What again!
6,011 Posts
Looks like the front bumper is right - there are marks that show there used to be a lip there.

Got a shot of the engine bay, that'd be pretty easy to tell. Also, your vehicle report wasn't viewable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It's supercharged. Has not been crashed. Here is a pic of the engine.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I put a deposit on it. Buying it on the 29th.

Edit: As long as the breaks and suspension are in good shape. Going to look over the car extensively on Friday. I only drove it for 5 min the first time I was there and took pictures of it, haven't had a chance to go back.

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

It's the wrong bumper ppl.... It's not too hard to find a clean ss. The sc ones are harder to find clean but not too difficult. If you look at it ask them about that front bumper.

---------- Post added at 09:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Also the 05-07 ss' are supercharged not turbo.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

It's missing the front lip....
yea you're right I meant last boosted car.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

Here is an amended copy of the vehicle history.

Vehicle Description (provided by CARCO Group, Inc.)

VIN ********************** Tank 13.00

Year 2006 City MPG 23

Make Chevrolet Highway MPG 29

Model Cobalt Anti-lock Brakes 4-Wheel ABS

Manufactured In UNITED STATES Steering Type R&P

Trim Level SS Supercharged Coupe Front Brake Type Disc

Body Style COUPE 2-DR Rear Brake Type Disc

Engine Type 2.0L L4 DOHC 16V SUPERCHARGED Tires 215/45R18

Transmission 5-Speed Manual Overdrive;5M OD Power Door Locks Std

Driveline FWD Vehicle Anti-Theft Std

SUMMARY

Information from NMVTIS as of 02/17/2016 22:00

Current Title Record 1

Historical Title Record 0

Title Brand Records 0

Junk and Salvage Records 0

Insurer "Total loss" Records 0

Title Information

Last Title on record with NMVTIS

FLORIDA TITLE

VIN ************************

Title Issue Date 09/20/2006

Title Brand Information

0 Brands found on this VIN

A "brand" is recorded on a vehicle's title if it was ever junked, salvaged, rebuilt, or flooded, etc. There are many

different types of brands. (A complete list of all Brand Definitions is included in this report.)

We have checked the following brand categories in the NMVTIS database, and found **no**

evidence that this vehicle has been branded:

Salvaged/Junked/Totaled Rebuilt/Reconstructed/Repaired

Flood Damaged Damaged

Commercial Use Fire/Hail

Odometer Issues Cash for Clunkers

Prior Theft

(A complete list of all Brand Definitions is included in this report)

Junk and Salvage Information

NOTE: No Junk/Salvage information was found in the NMVTIS records, for this vehicle. However, most

consumer groups highly recommend that you have any used or repaired vehicle inspected by a qualified

technician that is independent of the seller.

Insurer "Total Loss" Information

No Information Found

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.