Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much since day 7 of owning my LS... I have hated it and wanted an SS ever since. I didn't care much about cars until I started browsing cobalt forums and then I was hooked!

Anyways... Current stage in life is
2007 LS cobalt Paid off 100% 34k Miles on it little paint damage from eggs -.- and scratches!
About to finish my Associates degree in Science (general degree at a 2 yr school)
22 Years old, Still living at home but ready to move out after this year at school whether its off to tech school, tech training or going full time job.

I want to live on my own right now, which is pretty expensive.. But I REALLY want to own a Cobalt SS... Its pretty much my dream car and everytime I browse these forums it just makes me want one more and more..

Id prefer a turbo around 07-08.... I would probably trade mine in on it as much as it would pain me to do... Or sell mine and then buy it.

So any advice?

I kinda want to just get my "childhood dream" out of the way when I can afford it and not be swamped with bills etc.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
lol, I know the feeling. See new car in sig.!! lol

If you just want to buy the car then get the 08+, if you want to mod and build a monster get a 06 and build the piss out of it and turbo. You will be bigger, faster, stronger than all 08+ SS's.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Who cares if it's unmolested, you are about to rip the thing to the ground and build it back up!

·
Registered
302 Posts
What's your budget, if you get a turbo ss you can have 300whp for around $800.If you get a supercharged balt you will have a weaker suspension and spend maybe $1,500 to get 280whp.

I recommend getting a turbo balt, cause if ya wanted throw a big turbo and clutch and have 400whp for a lot let than modding a sc to achieve that.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Do waste time building a turbo balt, chances are it's gonna fail or never run right!

·
Gawd of Thunda!
1,336 Posts
What's your budget, if you get a turbo ss you can have 300whp for around $800.If you get a supercharged balt you will have a weaker suspension and spend maybe $1,500 to get 280whp.

I recommend getting a turbo balt, cause if ya wanted throw a big turbo and clutch and have 400whp for a lot let than modding a sc to achieve that.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Do waste time building a turbo balt, chances are it's gonna fail or never run right!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I work about 25-30 hours a week. Usual check is about 300-380. (Basic first job 5 and people starting make the same :/) umm usually spend about 60-80 every 2 weeks. Just depends on the plans etc. so I mean I'm saving a bunch right now and have been for a little while. Not sure on exact amount I have saved up...

I really want the SS so I can Get it out of the way and "start to grow up"
But still have a nice car/my personal dream car.

I haven't decided if I will be getting a full Time job and moving out right away after I finish this semester or if I will pursue more school.. Only problem is I have no idea what I really want to do..

I would be looking for an 07-09 SS that is around 30k Ish miles.. As I don't want to trade mine in on something that's been driven more...

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You will be looking around $12-15k depending on condition and mods for the 07+ around 30k. I took a year off school and that helped me realize I needed to go back to school. Just do what feels right and learn as much as possible while you are young, it will pay off later! GL

·
Levee
3,210 Posts
lol, I know the feeling. See new car in sig.!! lol

If you just want to buy the car then get the 08+, if you want to mod and build a monster get a 06 and build the piss out of it and turbo. You will be bigger, faster, stronger than all 08+ SS's.
For now. Wait until I get my hands on another SS/TC, I will break the 1k hp mark.

Where did you get your info about $800 for 300whp? All it takes is a tune to achieve 300whp. With a K&N Drop in filter, and a Dejon BPV spring upgrade ($50 total in parts and a $100 tune (yes I'm self tuned, but if you don't self tune it's only around $300 for a tune)) I put down 326whp 348wtq on the dyno. You can get 300whp VERY easily on just a tune. Think about it, GMS1 for the SS/TC's gets you 290ish whp, and that's on a VERY conservative tune from GM, and you can get much more out of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.