Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ahhhhhhhhh why did I sign up on this forum!!!

I bought the cobalt with the intention of it being my boring slow 4 door semi-reliable car.
But now I'm on this forum and the mod bug has got me.

I already just bought a factory spoiler to throw on when I repaint my rear bumper cover, and now I'm considering other mods as well.

ideas I'm considering,

ghost racing stripes (ie. dump a little silver in my graphite paint to do the stripes.)

350z taillights. just cause I don't think anyone has done that on a cobalt and done right it could be tasteful.

SS front end and foglights (problem here is high cost)

tint

wheels

rear disc brake conversion

color matched calipers

shaved emblems.

So should I do it or not? if so should I do all those ideas or throw out a few?

someone either needs to talk me out of dumping money into my car for no reason or talk me into it. :nuts:

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
IMO

unless you have money to burn (which I'm not knocking if you do), ditch the plan for the rear disk. they look nice, but it's not really needed.

mod bug is fun, just take your time and weigh the positives with the negatives. all of the other options you list wont really in anyway affect the reliability of the car, so I say go for it.

·
Get Out The Sawzall
1,856 Posts
ahhhhhhhhh why did I sign up on this forum!!!

I bought the cobalt with the intention of it being my boring slow 4 door semi-reliable car.
But now I'm on this forum and the mod bug has got me.

I already just bought a factory spoiler to throw on when I repaint my rear bumper cover, and now I'm considering other mods as well.

ideas I'm considering,

ghost racing stripes (ie. dump a little silver in my graphite paint to do the stripes.)

350z taillights. just cause I don't think anyone has done that on a cobalt and done right it could be tasteful.

SS front end and foglights (problem here is high cost)

tint

wheels

rear disc brake conversion

color matched calipers

shaved emblems.

So should I do it or not? if so should I do all those ideas or throw out a few?

someone either needs to talk me out of dumping money into my car for no reason or talk me into it. :nuts:
-I would do the tint, debadge. These are cheep and easy.
-The racing stripes will look pretty good I think.
-I don't think you need to waste the time and money on the rear dics brake conversion. Just paint the front calipers and rear drum.
- SS front and fog lights are always sexy.
-350 Z tails. Would prob look neat but I think it will run you more money in the long run than you think, with the lights and body work and paint involved.

Good luck man.

·
Not justice...Punishment
3,829 Posts
Your situation is very similar to my own. I had no intention of modding my balt at all. I was perfectly content to drive it just the way GM built it for many years to come. I joined this forum mostly for information about the car I had bought. I also became seduced by the cars seen all over this forum.

I have not done much to my balt in the last year, except learn. I have done a few things like debadging, but not much. I will be doing much more in the future.

If you have fallen in love with your ride like I have mine, you need to make it your own. Put your own mark on it. Don't lower it if you don't want to. Don't get the rims that others tell you. Get what you want. Go your own way.

·
hawaii icon
3,089 Posts
As stickx911 said, all of those mods (except the brakes) are cosmetic and won't do anything to affect the performance or reliability of you car. So have at it man!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the fast replies, I was just about to sign off and check tomorrow.

DAB I happen to have a set of 350z taillights sitting in my parts storage area at my parents house and body work and paint would just be time consuming to me :)

however, I am trying to keep everything low key, ie so it could be factory, or close. The taillights if done expertly could look factory to someone who knows nothing about cars.

painted drums on the other hand, ABSOLUTELY never.

Think I'll debadge anyway even if I do nothing else.

I will not be lowering because it is my daily driver and I have yet to drive a lowered car that I would not swerve from the slightest bump in the road.

However, I would like to improve handling a little bit, how much would strut tower bars and beefier sway bars help me out in that regard?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Thanks for the fast replies, I was just about to sign off and check tomorrow.

DAB I happen to have a set of 350z taillights sitting in my parts storage area at my parents house and body work and paint would just be time consuming to me :)

however, I am trying to keep everything low key, ie so it could be factory, or close. The taillights if done expertly could look factory to someone who knows nothing about cars.

painted drums on the other hand, ABSOLUTELY never.

Think I'll debadge anyway even if I do nothing else.

I will not be lowering because it is my daily driver and I have yet to drive a lowered car that I would not swerve from the slightest bump in the road.

However, I would like to improve handling a little bit, how much would strut tower bars and beefier sway bars help me out in that regard?
better tires are the first thing...strut bars don't do much, sway bars do however.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Do what you can afford and what you like. But keep in mind when it comes time for resale, not everyone will appreciate certain mods or like certain wheel styles. This forum and all the people here are a wealth of knowledge and a great asset when it comes time for mods.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do what you can afford and what you like. But keep in mind when it comes time for resale, not everyone will appreciate certain mods or like certain wheel styles. This forum and all the people here are a wealth of knowledge and a great asset when it comes time for mods.
very true this site has been so helpful already after just joining.

as far as resale, with the exception of the 350z tails, which are probably last on the list everything I do can be easily returned to factory.
As long as my parents don't move back over seas I've got a fair amount of storage to keep things like wheels and factory air boxes.

well anyway the responses to this thread have pretty much made my mind up to start modding.

Look for my first post with pictures in about a month when I finish a project car I'm working on.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
no 350z tails. they belong on a z. (which i am obsessed with and plan on buying soon :D)
and no rear disc conversion, not needed for the car. Everything else I say go for it!
Top picks to begin with:
-nice mags and tires
-tints
-lower on some nice springs and possible SS/TC fe5 shocks/struts (i have it, AMAZING)
-decent sound system upgrade?
-RETROFITS!!!!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Dude make it yours! I get picked on since I drive a LS with the SS wing on. I could care less it made it my car. But then people making fun of the wing love my tails so do what you want. I agree with everyone about not doing the brake conversion its a grand that could spent on something else....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
on a cobalt?
sure why not :rolleyes:

you gotta be a little crazy in life to enjoy it.

about the disk brakes, I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money on wheels only to reveal the drums.

I've never really driven a car with drums in the rear, I think they just don't look good no matter how you dress them up.

will the SS suspension work on my car because mine is a four door?

·
Registered
86 Posts
How hard do you guys think it would be to put Skyline tail lights on a Cobalt and have the back up light mounted in the bumper?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.