Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'05 Base Cobalt 2.2 Auto

Anyone ever have an issue with the steering wheel shuddering slightly at cruise/coasting? This does not happen on acceleration but when I am slowing down (both on and off the brakes), I can feel vibration in the steering wheel and you can actually hear what sounds like a slight knocking sound coming from the front of the car. Recently changed worn out front brake pads and it changed nothing.

Ball joints? Tie rod ends? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
169 Posts
how are your rotors? smooth or grooved?... but being that you notice it with or with out brakes, could be your steering column. In a straight line does it rattle? how about on a turn?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Might be the wheel bearing ... does it sound like a humming noise coming from the front end at all ?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
if it's a knocking, check CV joints, the shudder in the steering could be itself caused by tie rod ends worn out

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how are your rotors? smooth or grooved?... but being that you notice it with or with out brakes, could be your steering column. In a straight line does it rattle? how about on a turn?
The rotors are smooth. It only vibrates/shudders in a straight line at low rpms, say if I am doing 55 and see a red light ahead and I let off the gas and coast.

Might be the wheel bearing ... does it sound like a humming noise coming from the front end at all ?
No humming noise. When it happens it is very very slight, barely audible. You have to turn off the heat and the radio to even attempt to hear it but it is there.

if it's a knocking, check CV joints, the shudder in the steering could be itself caused by tie rod ends worn out
What specifically in the CV joints? I'll check that and the tie rod ends next time its warmer outside.

Thanks so far guys. I'll be looking into trading this car in soon and I want to be able to get top dollar for it.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The rotors are smooth. It only vibrates/shudders in a straight line at low rpms, say if I am doing 55 and see a red light ahead and I let off the gas and coast.

No humming noise. When it happens it is very very slight, barely audible. You have to turn off the heat and the radio to even attempt to hear it but it is there.

What specifically in the CV joints? I'll check that and the tie rod ends next time its warmer outside.

Thanks so far guys. I'll be looking into trading this car in soon and I want to be able to get top dollar for it.
Check the inner and outer u-joint boots for tears and possible grease. If i do recall, the inner CV U-joint is the one that makes noise when no power is put on it (coasting)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
It sounds like its your rack and pinion. I had to get mine replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked to see that everything was tight underneath. Ball joints seem okay, as do tie rod ends. I checked for play in the U joint from the steering column and made sure that the bolt holding the U joint together was tight. I can't seem to replicate the sound that I get from this issue when the car is in the air.

Oh also, maybe good to point out - the same knocking heard on decel in the steering is also heard at low speeds going over potholes/bumps.

One more thing I wanted to check out with you guys that I noticed today. It seems that I may be getting some front brake drag. The rear tires spin effortlessly when off the ground, no resistance. The front ones however, will not even spin a full revolution. Could this be contributing to the problem?

·
Registered
169 Posts
my friend you have what myself and millions other do. I had the same exact problems as you. It the steering gear. 650 installed if your out of warranty. Basically there is a backlash in the gears which causes this. You stated you feel it when just driving straight or on potholes/bumps thats exactly when you would feel that. It could be other things however, so obvisouly check everything else. There is a TSB on this (shutter in steering when going over loose bumps) check it out and let us know what you find out

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
At least you know you didnt bend one of your rims.

·
Registered
9 Posts
my friend you have what myself and millions other do. I had the same exact problems as you. It the steering gear. 650 installed if your out of warranty. Basically there is a backlash in the gears which causes this. You stated you feel it when just driving straight or on potholes/bumps thats exactly when you would feel that. It could be other things however, so obvisouly check everything else. There is a TSB on this (shutter in steering when going over loose bumps) check it out and let us know what you find out
What causes the brake drag? My car has this exact problem. I keep burning up rotors, the car shakes really bad when braking, sometimes just driving down the road. It's bad enough to spill a drink. The car just started making a loud clicking noise on the driver side front, sometimes just driving, gets worse when you hit the brakes and corner. Nobody can figure out what is wrong with this car. GM was too cheap to even try to fix it, they just re-surfaced rotors and kept putting it off until my warranty expired.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
What causes the brake drag? My car has this exact problem. I keep burning up rotors, the car shakes really bad when braking, sometimes just driving down the road. It's bad enough to spill a drink. The car just started making a loud clicking noise on the driver side front, sometimes just driving, gets worse when you hit the brakes and corner. Nobody can figure out what is wrong with this car. GM was too cheap to even try to fix it, they just re-surfaced rotors and kept putting it off until my warranty expired.
CV joint!

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have that on my car i brought it to the dealer thay sad it normal????????? (thay wonder why thay going to the shitts) but i had it checked out at vw i have a friend that works there its actualy the iner link kite "the part your stering weel conects too to tern the weels i brought it in 4 times allready thay dont see a problem

·
Registered
24 Posts
i hade this problem too you keep on berning roters becasue your slider pines are sezed in your calipers even if your chang the grees it will not help you must buy hi heat 800+ brake grees to solve this my number 1 biggest problem brakes. the only roters that are holding up right now are some i got for 200$ from i roters organic pads ceramic is too much for the system the organic dont seem to over heat the disks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.