Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sickk Christmas Gift

2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  4dr-LS 
#1 ·
so my brother scored me some Ground Force lowering springs, he told me they were a good brand, plus they have a lifetime warranty. I've searched the threads for ground force but most people recommend Eibach or Pro Kit's.

Does anyone have them? Are they of decent quality and should put them on?
And just for opinion does anyone think lowering it would look nice with stock tires and rims, or i could wait til summer and do the Lowering springs and tires all at once?

#5 ·
thats a perfect pic thanks =)

im not sure if there are different lowering kits for the cobalt from ground force, mainly because they're website doesnt show cobalt springs, but anywho are your drops 1" in front and 1.5" in back? i believe thats what the box said

#6 ·
i think it's 1.3 front 1.5 rear I am not 100% sure but they're nothing crazy. i have to say my progress and ssc springs handled better but if you're looking for a comfortable ride with a slight drop and a little handling improvement these are the best ones yet

they also came with eccentric camber bolts which are a must for lowering! make sure you get an alignment after installing them so you don't get camber pull.

#8 ·
they also came with eccentric camber bolts which are a must for lowering! make sure you get an alignment after installing them so you don't get camber pull.
apparently my brother knows "something" about installing them, but i know a guy who runs the monroe shop next door to where i work so ill def take the balt over to have an alignment done.

is there any advantage to lowering a car in the winter? id think it might be a bad idea... should i wait til spring?

#18 ·
lol YES! you'll probably have a real strut compressor there on a stand or mounted to the wall. you'll take off the top 3 nuts on the strut tower for the strut mount, the bottom strut bolts on the steering knuckle and then the whole thing drops out. watch out for the abs wire. the compressor has claws that grab the spring and make sure you use the safety locks. compress, you'll see the upper strut mount come loose and then remove the top nut with an impact gun or with a hex wrench and a strut socket just like i showed you. the strut will come out with the spring still in the compressor. set up the new spring just how the old one looked and line up the perch correctly. the strut bearing and mount have a line painted on them. line those up and have it facing the opposite direction of the lower mounts. put some loc-tite blue on the top nut, zip it down with the gun again and loosen the compressor. now you got a fully assembled mcpherson strut.
the rear- lift the car so the suspension hangs unsprung. unbolt the top bolts on the rear shocks. pull down the rear suspension by hand and the springs will come free. remove the perch cushions/bushings/bump stops and put them in the new springs. the ground force springs have a mesh sleeve to go over the spring. use 'em! now jack up the rear suspension with the new springs in place. line up the rear shocks again by tapping them with a rubber mallet until the holes line up. bolt them back in and there ya go. don't forget to use loc tite!
wish i had pics for ya!

and sorry for thread jackin' hope this helps everyone else too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.