Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im still pretty new here, but have noticed the 2.4 IM is frequently asked about by us 2.2L guys. I installed my 2.4 IM today and I didnt do a full DIY. but here are some pics so you can see the difference in size and looks at least.

Oh and excuse the foil on my fusebox...had an incident with the cover and will be trying a couple junkyards tomorrow for a replacement.

2.4 on the left, of course

you wouldnt believe the filth behind your IM, so I took the opportunity to finish cleaning the area after I took this pic. This was taken after I had scrubbed and wiped around the 4 holes there...

installed with a few of the wires hooked back up

2.2 throttle body back on

everything back together

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks! I would never paint a 2.2 intake manifold because theyre so much more bumpy and just the kinda shape that id hate to paint. The 2.4 is shaped so much better for sanding and then getting the primer and paint on. I def had to keep the coats light to avoid dripping and such.
As far as driving goes, it doesnt feel like im driving a race car or anything, but I did notice more high end power. Seemed a little more sluggish on the low end, but when it came down to it I liked the difference.

this completes my intake bolt ons so now Im going to work on the exhaust, suspension, and getting some decent wheels on there now.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

I bought a spray can of my cars color(metallic tan pretty much, but with a fancier name) so I can also freshen up the engine bay. I was going to paint it all black but decided I could make it looks nice without changing colors.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have the LAP 2.2 then. He has the L61
Also wanted to add that it is also plastic, but despite looking bigger it feels like it weighs considerably less. Holding the two at the same time really lets you feel the difference.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Very nice. I like the color scheme you got going on.
thank! it was tough to decide what color to go with since the car is a gold tan, but I think red was the way to go. MY LEDS and trim in the interior are blue, but I didnt see that looking as good on the engine with my car.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No cel or anything like that. Initially it almost sounded like there was a slight whistle sound when I pressed down on the gas, but it seems to have stopped now. I was worried something wasnt sealed correctly, but it appears all it well.

I noticed a bit difference in tone (its a little lower now) and my high end seems to have a bit more power. I also feel like I get a little more response from the throttle, but that may be in my head.

Im going to get a tune, but first I need to put together my exhaust system. Ill be bolting on a new downpipe, header, and exhaust and then well see what she can do with a tune.

Anyone happen to have any suggestions for a header/downpipe(w/cat)/exhaust system that would work with my 2005 LS sedan(automatic)? Id prefer for it to just fit or need minimal changes made to accommodate it. I dont know how to weld or have the tools to do it.

Frankly, I kind of prefer a quieter exhaust or at most a deep rumble sound.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
No cel or anything like that. Initially it almost sounded like there was a slight whistle sound when I pressed down on the gas, but it seems to have stopped now. I was worried something wasnt sealed correctly, but it appears all it well.

I noticed a bit difference in tone (its a little lower now) and my high end seems to have a bit more power. I also feel like I get a little more response from the throttle, but that may be in my head.

Im going to get a tune, but first I need to put together my exhaust system. Ill be bolting on a new downpipe, header, and exhaust and then well see what she can do with a tune.

Anyone happen to have any suggestions for a header/downpipe(w/cat)/exhaust system that would work with my 2005 LS sedan(automatic)? Id prefer for it to just fit or need minimal changes made to accommodate it. I dont know how to weld or have the tools to do it.

Frankly, I kind of prefer a quieter exhaust or at most a deep rumble sound.
I got the Racing Solutions 2.5" header and Downpipe and I'm runnung a Tsudo, with the silencer in...not vey loud at all, deep mellow growl and a good price tag...I also have my 2.4 throttle body and Intake Manifold waiting to be installed, I had to get a adapter for my throttle body harness because my cars throttle body harness is a 8 pin and need to be 6..lol..all should be done this weekend...and my trifecta tune is sitting in the box waiting on the throttle body to be complete...

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the Racing Solutions 2.5" header and Downpipe and I'm runnung a Tsudo, with the silencer in...not vey loud at all, deep mellow growl and a good price tag...I also have my 2.4 throttle body and Intake Manifold waiting to be installed, I had to get a adapter for my throttle body harness because my cars throttle body harness is a 8 pin and need to be 6..lol..all should be done this weekend...and my trifecta tune is sitting in the box waiting on the throttle body to be complete...
is this the one you went with then? Also, the tsudo is typically a can style muffler, right?
Chevy Cobalt 4-1 Long Style Header/Downpipe Combo (2.2L)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts

·
Say What again!
6,037 Posts
Much bigger.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Looks very nice. With exhaust you will notice a bigger improvement!

Please don't use foil over the fuse box!!!! Being metal if it makes contact with a live power source you'll find out how destructive amperage can be...LoL!! Use plastic if you have to!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.