Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

Its been 1 yr this month since my new cobalt!!!!!

Now, its only got 7000 miles on it, and "oil filter life" indicator on dash cluster says about 14% life left. Havnt changed the oil yet, but ready to now. Got a filter and it is the funniest looking thing ever saw. I think they forgot to put the outer can around the paper fluting. Should I send it back??

Also, did the factory use 100% synthetic or a synth blend or regular Dino oil?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
911 Posts
factory never used synthetic...but I do recommend using it, I use Castrol full synthetic on mine...started off using Royal Purple when I first bought it

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thnaks, guys. Is the filter anywhere specific on engine? I'll eventually find it.....gotta jack up the car.....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
factory never used synthetic...but I do recommend using it, I use Castrol full synthetic on mine...started off using Royal Purple when I first bought it
I will make a key note:

The non SS/SC or SS/TC models never came with Synthetic. If you're rolling with a Boosted Cobalt SS, you must use Synthetic (6qt for SS/SC, 5 for SS/TC)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are great! Just did it. It was actually fun. Only thing left, I cant reset the "oil filter life" at zero. I followed the instructions, but that talk of a stupid personalized menu, which I tried, and zilch. I press info and reset at the same time, like it says, and nothing happens.

Heeeeeelp!

·
Registered
911 Posts
gotta hold it for like 8 seconds, then oil life will appear, hit reset again, and it'll say "acknowledged"

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

I mean gotta hold both at the same time together for like 8 seconds

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gotta hold it for like 8 seconds, then oil life will appear, hit reset again, and it'll say "acknowledged"

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

I mean gotta hold both at the same time together for like 8 seconds
Thanks, bigtime, eye. So, I have to hold for 8 seconds BOTH the info and reset?

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

To reset the oil life monitor.

turn the key to accessory and press the gas pedal 3 times.

Turn the key to off.

It should now be reset.
Man, are yiou sure???? Im not gonna flood my engine for this, eh?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there is no way your going to "flood" your engine.......that was like 20 yrs ago.

Most newer GM's can all use this method.
OK, so now you know Im the owner of an 87 pontiac.....LOL

OK, man, if it floods and has trouble starting, im gonna be not happy.....here it goes...........still, theres gotta be a way to do it electronically......

·
Wootsauce!
8,593 Posts
Lmfao.

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

ya man...it's gonna flood out, and the car will go into limp mode. You'll have to have it towed to the dealer and get raped in charges.

:facepalm:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man, it worked!!!!!!! Tanks, guys!

Still, FI is FI, and pumping pedal I still feel, can ad gas to engine. My 87 is FI. My 99 is FI. My 2001 is FI. My 2009 is FI. If you pump, it floods.

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

WHY all of a sudden, new FI's are imune from flooding?? I need an edjukayshun.

·
I cut stuff
6,238 Posts
hmmm let me seee. I think the last time you could flood a car from pushing the pedal down was somewhere in the vicinity of ummmm..... 1985? lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.