Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I hooked up my HID bi-xenon HID conversion kit to my 06 cobalt. It took me awhile for many reasons, one of them being i'm pretty noob to doing anything electrical with cars.

But anyways, Here my issue. Yesterday, after they were hooked up (this was evening time) they worked perfectly. The auto settings had the set of HIDs on and weren't flickering or anything. This morning I turn my car on, and my HIDS don't work. For some reason my DRL are my signal lights now, ( this might have been the same case yesterday, it was just too late in the day to know ). Is this normal? Even cycling off of Automatic lights wouldn't turn my HIDS on.

I get out from work tonight, And my lights would be functioning how they should be except for that the driver side HID is out. The wiring hasn't changed since yesterday, I looked and everything is still connected. So I guess I have a couple questions here.

1. Is it possible for my DRL's to be my HIDS? And how would I go abouts making that happen?
2. Why the hell is my driver side HID not working.

Could this be because of fuses? and if so, why would it randomly blow overnight.

Any help would be appreciated. Like I said, please don't hate. I don't really know a whole lot of wiring and electrical work and this was the first time I've attempted something like this.

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

Update: Just tried them again after getting home from work. Now they both work, as soon as I started up my car.

I guess this would rule out a fuse issue, could it be a faulty ballast? or relay harness? maybe even bulb?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad/loose ground.

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

There is a good grounding point underneath the driver's side headlight bracket. You'll see other things grounded here also. Just avoided painted surfaces and make sure it's good and tight. (and yes, a bad ground can cause just one to stay out)

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
Please tell me you disabled your DRLs by pulling the fuse?
was going to mention this but i thought 05/06 didnt ave to pull DRL fuse, or is it only 05?

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
meh, true story i dont blame ya lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So... I don't have to pull the fuse right?

And i'll try moving my ground to somewhere else. Both are good and tight to where I have them grounded. But just in case, i'll try moving it

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Pull your DRL fuse in your under hood block. The ballasts don't like being fed reduced power.

Regarding the ground, the reason I was quick to mention that is because what you describe is exactly what happened to me for a while. I initially grounded on one of my fender bolts. It was good and tight, but a poor location. Ask me how well that went! :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually have my passenger one bolted to the fender I believe. The other one is to a random bolt I found, somewhere out of the way. And as far as the fuse.. Which is the DRL fuse?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So my Auto setting right now doesn't turn anything on unless I turn my fog lights on. Then it will turn on my signal lights.

If I set my lights to highbeam, they look like my HID lowbeams...

And if I have it set to my lowbeams it turns on my signal lights.

What is going on?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a relay harness. I got it from Autozek. It is total plug and play and I can guarantee it isn't hooked up wrong.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

I do know I need a new battery though, Would that effect this at all?

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
can we have pics or a explanation of how install was done?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used the relay harness, 2 slim ballasts, and 2 warning cancellers. The HID's were plug and play with the wiring harness.

I have the driver side ground wire going to where another wire is grounded, I checked to make sure it was actually grounded to the metal and it is.

I have the positive (power) wire from the relay harness going to the positive end of the fuse box.

I have the passenger ground wire going to the fender bolt underneath my hood. It's in there tight.

The harness was plug and play to the HIDS. 3 Connections per bulb.

To hook up the one 9004 Harness socket to the driver side 9007 harness, I had to switch around the ground/power wires inside the relay harness socket. I did that, And that's hooked together too. The passenger side blue socket piece doesn't lead to anywhere, it's unplugged.

This is what the problem is right now.. and honestly i'm starting to think it's just because I live in Canada because my DLR's are the ones giving me the problem.

After starting my car with auto setting on, No lights come on at all. After turning on my fog lights (still in auto mode) my fog lights and signal lights come on. (My signal lights are my DRL'S for some reason.)

Switching my lights to lowbeams on the knob, My signal lights come on.

Switching my lights to highbeam from the knob, my HIDS come on, and my signal lights. If I pull the highbeam bar or push it to lock the highbeams on, my HIDS turn into the highbeams (the light pattern changes, it's angled upwards how Highbeams should be) and my signal lights stay on.

---------- Post added at 11:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

I just don't understand why it changes after a certain amount of time. If this was at night time I believe my lights would be functioning properly. That's why I wanted to try pulling my DRL fuse.

I don't know where that fuse is, I've searched the internet and I don't have a book to locate it.

·
Premium Member
2,635 Posts
underhood fuse block i posted the fuse diagram in the first page. its labeled "DRL" unless its different in canada o_O

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

sorrry i posted in other thread

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

also if you look behind the fuse box when you take it off, its labeled there also

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.