Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took in my brand new Cobalt LS 2dr coupe because I can hear the gas sloshing in the tank when I'm braking and coming to a stop. The service department seemed puzzled, said they'd not heard of this before and are checking with GM. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
ummmmm?? where would you like the gas to go? It has to slosh around, if the tanks not full theres room for the gas move around. Gas is a liquid and will move realtivly easy and slosh around in a tank thats not full.

uhhh hope that helps?

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
I've never heard gas slosh around before? Not in any car I've ever driven. lmao

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
my car does this my chevy 2500 does it, and my dads tahoe does it. all the cars ive driven do it, i cant really think of a bad outcome of gasoline moving around. I mean, where else is it going to go?

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
why am I the only one that can't hear swishing gas? =/

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Actually I rarely listen to radio/music w/e. I prefer the quiet usually. lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, after some back and forth with the dealer, what I'm told is (as someone here speculated) there are no baffles in the tank to help with sound proofing. They supposedly checked several other new Cobalts and a Malibu and "they all make the same noise. Sorry."

Of course gas sloshes around, but baffles are generally built in to reduce this and the subsequent noise. So, it was probably a cheap move to cut costs. Is it a major problem? No, just a major annoyance that I'm sure I'll get used to after awhile. Something I've never heard in any other car I've owned, and certainly didn't expect in a brand new one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.