Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just bought a 2009 Cobalt LT XFE a few days ago. It's a great little car so far. I have a 2006 Pontiac GTO with an STS turbocharger and I want to keep the miles down as I'll have a lot of driving to do in the next year. The Cobalt was so cheap with that $5000 rebate several dealers around here had that it was hard to say no. In fact, the insurance difference having this as my primary car almost makes the monthly payment!

I'm looking forward to some great fuel economy and being able to hear my bluetooth headset without straining on the freeway. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! Yeah the dealer I bought mine from has sold a ton of them. Three more yesterday. They have them brand new for $10k (the base LS.) I guess the thing is that Chevrolet is adding their own $2500 rebate on top of the current $2500 rebate to get dealers to sell old stock so they will order more new stock.

With the way things are right now I'm sure the prices haven't hit bottom yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
welcome! my cobalt has been a great car to me. im sure you will like yours.
but i want to hear more about the turbo GTO. :bigsmile: ive always liked the new goats. sick looking, and well...its a GTO!
Well right now it has a small problem. I'm keeping it at my fiancee's farm and this weekend will start to look at it. It has a little bit of blue smoke. It's either blowby or a worn turbo seal. I'm pretty sure it isn't valve seals because it only smokes when I floor it, and not when I start up.

Otherwise it's just a stock 2006 GTO with a 6-speed with an STS turbo kit. I was running 8.5 PSI up in Utah, but I moved here to West Virginia a few weeks ago. I think I got some of that crappy 10% ethanol gas and it leaned out and knocked a little bit. I've had that happen a lot as I adjust the tune, but it now seems to be consuming some oil. Oops. I even have rubbery gunk hanging from the tailpipe! :(

Once she's back in shape I work on giving her a better tune. The car runs great but there's a small problem and I want it fixed. I'm a perfectionist. :)

That much boost on 11:1 compression is fun, honestly. Especially out here on these country roads when I need to pass people. Luckily most of my driving is Interstate so that isn't as much of a problem having the Cobalt.

I mainly wanted the Cobalt because I have to drive about 30,000 miles in the next year and wanted to keep them off the GTO!

·
Banned
1,559 Posts
Thanks guys! Yeah the dealer I bought mine from has sold a ton of them. Three more yesterday. They have them brand new for $10k (the base LS.) I guess the thing is that Chevrolet is adding their own $2500 rebate on top of the current $2500 rebate to get dealers to sell old stock so they will order more new stock.

With the way things are right now I'm sure the prices haven't hit bottom yet.
Yet GM is replacing cobalts... *facepalm* Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yet GM is replacing cobalts... *facepalm* Welcome to the site!
Not until 2010. Apparently they have some more Cobalts at Chevrolet they want dealers to order. I think they're a good car and I'll be sad to see them go. However, having the last year of the GTO and the last year of the Cobalt is kinda cool, too. :)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Congrats on getting such a great deal

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gto update

An update on my GTO:

I bought HPTuners and went 2-bar SD mode. Still trying to get the car tuned properly but it runs a million times better. Just basic driving. I can't stress enough how much more fun and responsive the car is. The AFR is much more stable in boost, too.

The problem with the blue smoke and oily gunk in the tailpipe turned out to be a bad turbo. I finally took it to a Pontiac dealer that is modified car friendly and they first looked at the turbo. There is a lot of in-and-out play on the shaft and there was oil in the inlet! So it's on its way back to STS in Utah for a rebuild. :(

The tinking noise the engine had turned into a massive squeak, and turned out to be the AC belt. No big deal there.

As for the Cobalt she has about 4200 miles on her now (after only 2 months -- ouch!) and runs great. I probably will change the oil this weekend even though the oil life monitor is at only 60%. I do pretty much all freeway driving. I really love the fuel economy I'm getting. I seem to be consistently 33mpg unless I don't spend 50 miles in the city, in which case I'm over 35. Last weekend I should have filled up right after I got off the freeway as the avg MPG gauge was at 37.0 for over 150 miles!

I may post in another section about the possibility of getting a 6 speed transmission in an LT.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
An update on my GTO:

I bought HPTuners and went 2-bar SD mode. Still trying to get the car tuned properly but it runs a million times better. Just basic driving. I can't stress enough how much more fun and responsive the car is. The AFR is much more stable in boost, too.

The problem with the blue smoke and oily gunk in the tailpipe turned out to be a bad turbo. I finally took it to a Pontiac dealer that is modified car friendly and they first looked at the turbo. There is a lot of in-and-out play on the shaft and there was oil in the inlet! So it's on its way back to STS in Utah for a rebuild. :(

The tinking noise the engine had turned into a massive squeak, and turned out to be the AC belt. No big deal there.

As for the Cobalt she has about 4200 miles on her now (after only 2 months -- ouch!) and runs great. I probably will change the oil this weekend even though the oil life monitor is at only 60%. I do pretty much all freeway driving. I really love the fuel economy I'm getting. I seem to be consistently 33mpg unless I don't spend 50 miles in the city, in which case I'm over 35. Last weekend I should have filled up right after I got off the freeway as the avg MPG gauge was at 37.0 for over 150 miles!

I may post in another section about the possibility of getting a 6 speed transmission in an LT.
Hey, are you just shipping the car out here? or are you coming out here also? If you do, PM me and we'll meet up!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, are you just shipping the car out here? or are you coming out here also? If you do, PM me and we'll meet up!
I'd love to meet up! I need to go back to SLC sometime to eat some sushi at Samurai. I love that place. I'm just shipping the turbo back though. I have friends from SLC flying out here for my wedding next month. I will probably be visiting there before too long, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
update

Here's an update: turbo was shot. Bearing blown, seal torn, etc etc. Rick @ STS turbo is sending me a 67 mm upgraded ball bearing turbo. Brand new! It only cost me $650 and they retail for over $1k. I guess it isn't bad. Old turbo was used as a core. (This is regarding my GTO. Cobalt is still stock.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.