Chevy Cobalt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use them? I saw some guys welding a stoop hand railing with this 110 volt little welding machine that was about the size of a milk carton. They used a small rod and it barely made an arc. It made some very nice welds. I do a lot of small welding jobs and I loath lugging my MIG or big stick welder up from the basement to do a small repair. I could leave this little one in my garage and it would be very handy. But most I see are imported, around $100, and claiming huge amperages. I find that suspicious as I generally use a 1/16" Easy Strike 6013 rod which only needs 20-45 amps to work great. Who would use 300 amps with a small inverter welder? Anyway, if you use one of these please respond and name the brand and if it was worth buying. I know some of them look like jokes and the Lincoln goes for $1600. There has to be some really good ones in between.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After lots of digging and searching I found that the Lincoln Electric Company bought two old timey American companies- Century and Marquette. Then shipped the manufacturing to China to have lower cost options to the well made but expensive American made products. I own a Lincoln SP-135 MIG welder and I love it but it is going for twice the price I paid long ago. I found a Marquette AutoPro 90S made in China for Lincoln. The price was $125 shipped and at that was right around what the no-name brands were going for. But this one is sold through Lincoln with parts and support. It has a range of 20 to 90 amps and runs on 120 volt house current. That is exactly the range where my welding chores are and I can leave it out in my garage close to where I use a welder most. The parts are a lot better quality than I expected and I sense this is a very nice machine. Here is a pic.
Font Red Audio equipment Toolbox Advertising

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Looks interesting. I’m sure you looked at the local Chinese tool store, also known as Harbor Fright :eek: .
I’m need a tig setup to do 3/16-1/4 304, .030-.250 carbon Steels, and 1/8”-38” 6061.
It seems a decent Tig setup for the AL is the cost driver.
With a cheap unit base price around $500
I’ve also looked at the combo machines that claim Tig,Stic,MiG and plasma cutting in the same neighbor hood.
Naturally, tips shields, and heads with a cooler can run you another $2k. Keeping all of your AL tools separated from the other special purpose components.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
There is a chap on you tube you might like to look up, This Old Tony, quite amusing, yet informative. As I understand, up in your neck of the woods.
He has a couple of videos on these small inverter units with examples and demos.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger on this unit. Most of the Chinesium welders work fine out of the box. I am more concerned with how long they will last. Of course a $100 welder is no big loss but I still want tools that last a while. My first Harbor Break welder was actually made in Italy. It didn't work at first. I opened it up and found that the main power wire was never connected. After I fixed that it has worked fine for 30 years or so. But the range on 110 volts is only 40-55 amps. Not low enough for what I do. Even my Lincoln SP135 MIG only goes down to 25 amps which was the lowest of the comparable welders at the time. I use the MIG for sheet metal and at that low amps it rarely blows through. I bought the MIG so I could fix all the rot spots on my '83 Pontiac station wagon. I will also need it for my '68 Firebird project that needs floors. But the main thing I do is small repairs like exhaust systems and I prefer oxy-acetylene for that. The HF is kind of heavy so I leave it in the garage for small jobs too. But this little Marquette is so light and portable I can take it anywhere for quick welding chores that pop up. My buddy is a crackerjack TIG welder with his own iron works shop so I take him any jobs like that. In return I work on his '80 Trans Am.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts