Chevy Cobalt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what spray paint do i use to smoke my tails so when the lights are on it still is visible. but when off there black

cobalt-z added 0 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

please post diy if poss. in this thread

·
Registered
78 Posts
VHT Night Shade, just becarful to spray light coats. otherwise they will black out. Also it does turn out flat finsh, mine are clear coated and buffed to a shine also

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
will i have to buff out the night shade to have it shiny like that?

cobalt-z added 0 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

and did you remove them from the car to do it or ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
you can use auto grade clear coat and hand wax to a nice shine its just that i wetsanded them to dull the darkness out since i got pulled over, and instead of having to spray them with clear coat again i just buffed them back to a nice shine. But the orignal finsh of VHT nightade is flat, no shine what so ever.

·
Registered
78 Posts
more then likey not it's not DOT approved it has warnings about it being for off road use all over the can, i got my cans at a local speed shop. You can order online for like $10 a can which is about what i paid per can. But BEWARE it not as easy as spray painting you might end up with dark spots or dry spray so put on light and do 1 coat at a time. i mean you can always wet sand but you dont want to invest 10 hours of labor into tinting your tails :)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yea....take your time and do light coats ...hope you have the patients lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
yeah tell me about it, i tried using that stuff the first time on my girl's eclipse and completely ruined the tail lights cuz i put it on too dark and it had patches, its definitely not as easy as spray painting. DEFINITELY take your time with it!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
was it a pain in the butt or did u not buff it out? and how many coats did u do

·
Registered
33 Posts
was it a pain in the butt or did u not buff it out? and how many coats did u do
it wasn't so much as a pain but it was just tough to get it on evenly, no i didn't buff it. I think i put 2 coats on which was way too much. Its pretty dark when the stuff dries. It didn't help that im not the most patient person in the world haha. As long as your patient with it and take your time you should be fine.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do u just do slow very slow passes to cover lense completly?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Are you going to black out your reverse lights as well?

·
Registered
265 Posts
With the nightshades, are you guys spraying the outside or the inside of the case?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Outside

·
Registered
265 Posts
Good to know... lol... something bad could have happened...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
You got it.... i am pretty sure it would be relatively hard to wet sand and primer the insides at all .

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just get the smoked taillights off of ebay.. somewhere around 130 bucks shipped... no hassle and you still got reverse lights and they are really shiny. then i took 35% window tint over the third brake light and sidemarkers and it all matches perfectly. and you dont have to worry about being pulled over, lights are perfectly visible at night.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You know that rubbing alcohol will take the night shade off right? The clear coat most likely won't come off with just rubbing alcohol, but I know the nightshade will. So if you screw up a light it's not the end of the world, just grab a rag and start rubbing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.